Re: Channels keep freezing (FIOS ZIP 20744)
Bear311
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

One of my TV channels in all my boxes keeps freezing after a second and cannot tape my shows.  

0 Likes
Re: One Channel Freezing Up
Scooter31
Enthusiast - Level 2

This situation is out of control at Verizon. Over 700 customers affected in Boston area. It clearly is an issue with how Fios is decoding the wbzhd feed. Work arounds are a joke. You can watch in SD but you pay for HD. Only fix is to reboot vms 4100 server but now that only works for a brief time. They sent me a new box and both boxes would freeze at the same time. I have been reporting this issue since last October. Someone at Verizon needs to stand up and get this resolved. As far as I am concerned they owe everyone refunds and they need to resolve. I now have had to subscribe to YouTube TV to watch wbzhd and to record shows. Verizon should be embarrassed. They push the resolution date to the next day every day. CS reps have no clue until they read the notes and then just apologize. Next move is to get wbz involved and the towns who have the franchise agreements. It seems they won’t mind losing everyone’s tv and box fees when everyone impacted cuts the cord. You would think the would want to protect their tv business. 

Gweagraff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know it’s frustrating but you have to realize there’s a lot going on in the world right now. They are very short staffed right now and probably don’t have enough people to work on the issue. 

0 Likes
Cloudyplusplus
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Gweagraff wrote:

I know it’s frustrating but you have to realize there’s a lot going on in the world right now. They are very short staffed right now and probably don’t have enough people to work on the issue. 

I think we all agree with your statement (I certainly do). But, what this situation has shown is that their services are not luxuries any longer, but essential. 

That said, the most critical service is network access, which has been solid for me over the past couple months. I have a neighbor on Comcast, who's been having problems with their network access, which is the primary reason I'm not considering a change at this point.

Regarding the offending channel: What's frustrating is that they've not been able to address such a critical channel (after all, its one of the 4 big local channels) after more than a month. Also, when we try to deal with service, we get: "It will be fixed by ___" messages.

I'd prefer they say, "We are working it and though we don't know when we will fix it, we will update the ticket periodically and text you when it's fixed."

Then give us a credit until it's fixed. It doesn't have to be large, but a few bucks monthly would show good faith.

0 Likes
Re: Channels keep freezing (FIOS ZIP 20744)
Cloudyplusplus
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Bear31 wrote:

Hello,

One of my TV channels in all my boxes keeps freezing after a second and cannot tape my shows.  

This one looks to be different than this thread. Though it started out as a general issue, this thread is now specifically about Boston channel 504 (CBS).  If your zip code is 20744 (MD), it might be a similar issue, but you might want to start a new thread with the area in the subject.

To see if it's related to this issue, we are seeing:

• One channel is problematic. All other channels seem fine.
  • That channel can be OK for days, hours or minutes. Lately, it's been a couple hours at best. Rebooting the system clears it until the next time.
  • That channel is HD. The SD version of the channel is OK.
  • It's only on Fios TV One equipment, not the older equipment.
  • It's a heavily viewed/recorded channel (CBS vs. one of the marginal channels.)

Good luck.

0 Likes
Scooter31
Enthusiast - Level 2

Agreed.  While we all certainly understand the priority here is to keep us connected, VZ has ignored or been unable to resolve the situation.  Recognition of the issue and its length and at least a gesture is certain called a step VZ should consider.  This outage has been around quite a bit longer than the Covid pandemic.

"Good Faith" are the prefect words to how VZ needs to respond.  Hoping you all stay safe and healthy.

0 Likes
HelplessTV
Enthusiast - Level 1

SAME SAME SAME--So totally aggravating!!!! Have spoken to Verizon multiple times..sometimes with someone who knows what they're talking about and sometimes someone from India that I can't understand or hear!!!!

They have "rebooted" several times...nothing....one had me unplugging everything in the house--which then killed every TV and internet!!---PANIC-- and of course, nowdays, no one can come into the house to evaluate and fix anything...So what to do???????? Very upsetting.

0 Likes
ray01031

channel 504 freezing up even after reboot. only this channel.

0 Likes
seanpb2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok so I posted my question originally in this issue back in March I think! And it seems like this is a major issue for WBZ channel only still and thanks to you all for trying and pushing with VZ tech support! I ran out of patience and my wife and had just kept on rebooting the stb each time - swearing about it each time also. Not very effective I know!  
I spent some time in the thread and can confirm I tried everything so far.
- The settings/system info thing showed no errors and what seems low (I have no idea) SNR value of 40.8 DB.  

- Also auto tune didn’t work.

- Also I changed the splitter out with the new one that came in the box of the new super fast router they talked me in to when I called about this.  Not the splitter.  

- I also checked and rechecked every coax connection - unscrewing blowing out any dust that wasn’t there and put back nice and tight. 

I can also confirm I have the newer Fios one system I upgraded to maybe 6+ mos ago - and this has been going on ever since. Though to be fair for a while this channel was only freezing once every few weeks to a month. Now it’s constant. 
- as of 7am this morning on 4/28 - it’s now 8:05am - I woke up to the frozen #504 and have rebooted the stb twice. And it’s currently frozen again and I give up. I need to get the kids ready for remote school now.    

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@seanpb2 wrote:

Ok so I posted my question originally in this issue back in March I think! And it seems like this is a major issue for WBZ channel only still and thanks to you all for trying and pushing with VZ tech support! I ran out of patience and my wife and had just kept on rebooting the stb each time - swearing about it each time also. Not very effective I know!  
I spent some time in the thread and can confirm I tried everything so far.
- The settings/system info thing showed no errors and what seems low (I have no idea) SNR value of 40.8 DB.  

- Also auto tune didn’t work.

- Also I changed the splitter out with the new one that came in the box of the new super fast router they talked me in to when I called about this.  Not the splitter.  

- I also checked and rechecked every coax connection - unscrewing blowing out any dust that wasn’t there and put back nice and tight. 

I can also confirm I have the newer Fios one system I upgraded to maybe 6+ mos ago - and this has been going on ever since. Though to be fair for a while this channel was only freezing once every few weeks to a month. Now it’s constant. 
- as of 7am this morning on 4/28 - it’s now 8:05am - I woke up to the frozen #504 and have rebooted the stb twice. And it’s currently frozen again and I give up. I need to get the kids ready for remote school now.    

Ok, if the SNR and errror count are good, then odds are the issue is outside your house, and a bad feed from the broadcaster, or the central switching station. I've had boxes go bad on 1 or two channels, but they were all on the same frequency, and replacing the box fixed it. Also nobody else in the area was having the issue, which is a big clue it is the main feed, not anything you can fix in your house. Just keep reporting the issue to Verizon Support by calling, Twitter or DSL reports:https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect and hopefully they'll figure it out and fix it.