One DVR - two IPs?
cpa1

I have one DVR in my household but the router shows two network devices "IP-STB1" and "IP STB2".

The DVR shows under "System Information" the IP of the "IP-STB1" device but the MAC (I guess this is the equal to the "Unit Address") from device "IP-STB2".

Can this be right?

If yes, what is the background und if not: How can I solve the problem?

C. Pa

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: One DVR - two IPs?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

One IP address is for the Set-top-box.

The other IP address is for the cable-card, which is the "removable" security card safely screwed in place with a metal shield.  If you look at the back of the box, you'll see the metal box sticking out with the card inside it.  If you look closely at the box, you'll find a sticker (or stickers) with the MAC addresses of both the box and the card.  These will match the two IP addresses.

The card can actually be removed and replaced, however no cable operator wants to manage cards separately from the boxes, so they are screwed in place.

The reason these cards exist is the FCC mandated that security be "separable" from the box, so vendors other than Cisco and Motorola (soon to be Arris) could make video equipment.  The FCC's idea was that consumer electronic companies would make set-top-boxes, TVs and other video gadgets that would work with the cards.  Then, consumers could rent cards from their cable companies at a lower cost than renting a box and buy just the type of hardware they wanted.

You can buy TVs and some STB's (like TIVO) with cable card slots and can rent a cable card from Verizon and others, however you don't get the guide or other advanced features like VOD.

In reality, cable cards never took off.

Now you know much more about that extra IP address and why it's there.

Enjoy!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@cpa wrote:

I have one DVR in my household but the router shows two network devices "IP-STB1" and "IP STB2".

The DVR shows under "System Information" the IP of the "IP-STB1" device but the MAC (I guess this is the equal to the "Unit Address") from device "IP-STB2".

Can this be right?

C. Pa

Cisco Set Top Boxes have Two IP Addresses.   I am not sure exactly why, but I believe it has to do with it's use of DLNA, the Motorola set top boxes don't use DLNA where the Cisco's do, OR the Cisco CAS which is has to do with their IPTV communications. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

One IP address is for the Set-top-box.

The other IP address is for the cable-card, which is the "removable" security card safely screwed in place with a metal shield.  If you look at the back of the box, you'll see the metal box sticking out with the card inside it.  If you look closely at the box, you'll find a sticker (or stickers) with the MAC addresses of both the box and the card.  These will match the two IP addresses.

The card can actually be removed and replaced, however no cable operator wants to manage cards separately from the boxes, so they are screwed in place.

The reason these cards exist is the FCC mandated that security be "separable" from the box, so vendors other than Cisco and Motorola (soon to be Arris) could make video equipment.  The FCC's idea was that consumer electronic companies would make set-top-boxes, TVs and other video gadgets that would work with the cards.  Then, consumers could rent cards from their cable companies at a lower cost than renting a box and buy just the type of hardware they wanted.

You can buy TVs and some STB's (like TIVO) with cable card slots and can rent a cable card from Verizon and others, however you don't get the guide or other advanced features like VOD.

In reality, cable cards never took off.

Now you know much more about that extra IP address and why it's there.

Enjoy!

0 Likes
cpa1

Thank you both!

C. Pa

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@cpa wrote:

Can this be right?

C. Pa

My Motorola STB (with a cablecard) does not show as two IPs in the router.  A Cisco STB, however, would.

0 Likes