Ongoing issue with sound distortion and picture pixelation.
MykullMyerz

Good morning,

For a good two months now I've had a sporadic issue with the picture and sound on both the HD and SD channels becoming completely unintelligible on one of the televisions in my home. However, in recent weeks it's gotten much worse and the problem has turned from sporadic to constant. I've contacted technical support via phone on two occasions. During the first call, the technician ran several diagnostic tests and instructed me to perform several troubleshooting tasks on the box such as disconnecting its power source, unplugging all the cables, and performing the "three-finger salute," to reset it, none of which did anything to solve the problem. So after none of his suggestions worked, the technician concluded that the set-top box is causing the issues and sent out a new one. Once received, I replaced the old STB with the new one, activated it as per the instructions provided with the shipment, and the activation went through but bright yellow text appeared in the corner of the screen that read "InBand Error." I did not know what this error message meant nor could I find any information to enlighten me to it's meaning, so I proceeded to turn the STB on hoping against hope that the issue was resolved. Well, to my utter dismay it was not. So, I made another call to technical support and informed the representative that the picture and sound were still distorted even after replacing the STB. Like the previous rep. I dealt with, she instructed me to perform several troubleshooting tasks while she performed some diagnostic tests, however to no avail. This rep, then concluded that the STB must not be the problem, but that it must be the component cables running from the TV to the STB. I acquiesced to her assessment, and she sent out new component cables to replace my current ones. So, once I received the cables I replaced them, which was not an easy task to perform because my TV is mounted on the wall and the only way to access the inputs on the back of the television is by dismounting it. So, after contacting a professional to take the television off the wall, plugging the new component cables in, and putting it back up on the wall, I turn the STB and television on to see the same scrambled picture and hear the same distorted sound. Now, I am steadily approaching my wits' end and need to know what steps I must take to resolve this issue as soon as possible. I have Verizon FiOS on two other televisions in the house, but they are not having this issue. It's only on the one in the den, which is the most needed considering the holidays are approaching. Can someone, anyone, please advise? Thank you. 

P.S. The individual who dismounted and remounted the television suggested that the problem may be with the coaxial cable the feeds the signal into the box. Do you think there's any validity to this?

0 Likes
Re: Ongoing issue with sound distortion and picture pixelation.
VZ_Javier
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dear Mykullmyerz,

I apologize for the inconvenience and experience thus far.  I can definitely assist with your issue.  Please go to the secure link below.  Enter your account Name, Address, Phone and Email.  Reply when completed.  Thanks in advance 

https://www22.verizon.com/content/verizonsupport/

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@MykullMyerz wrote:

P.S. The individual who dismounted and remounted the television suggested that the problem may be with the coaxial cable the feeds the signal into the box. Do you think there's any validity to this?

I think he hit it on the nose. Since it is just the one box. its been replaced and you replaced the cables from the box to the STB. thats really all thats left anyway. But yes, distorted pic and sound are usually the signal comming into the stb. Either a bad connector or a coax that has been damaged in some way (not all damage is visable). That link that javier posted should get you taken care of.

0 Likes
the_ebb

I had a few calls into the customer services for a similar issue.  A few HD channels were the picture pixeled and sound skipped.  I spoke to a tech today and he reset my ONT ( optiical network terminal ) on their end.  The moment he did that, all my HD channels were clear.  I'm so glad I spoke to him.  I'm not sure what his name was, Anise - maybe, whetever - I owe him for this.  Hopefully this will help a few FIOS HD customers. Thanks. 

0 Likes
dbergsr

So, I have been a FIOS customer since 2007, and this still remains an issue.  Did you all know that we all have bad settop boxes and bad cables?  Isn't that amazing.  I purchased my home brand new.  That means new cables, new everything in a new community.  I have been experiencing spuratic pixelation and choppy sound issues and slow and freezing On Demand menus since the beginning.  They have changed stetop boxes, cables, and even the main interface in the garage.  I even upgraded to a faster internet service for other reasons, but that didn't help the problem either.  I still get the same crap, but keep paying the same big price each month.  So who is the idiot here?  Has anyone thought that maybe the problem is that they don't have a clue what causes it.  Or just maybe they aren't willing to fix it because it costs too much?  It's just kind of funny that I have been reading these posts for 3 years.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I very RARELY find that pixelization comes from any TV cable like an HDMI or component, or RCA cabIes in fact I have never heard of or seen that ever be the case.    The COAX though and the splitters are an entirely different story.

t's pretty common that pixelization comes from either the cabling or the splitters or some form of inside wire.   as hard as it is to believe, it's a pretty common issue, and a pretty common fix.   That isn't to say that providers don't have problems, because they do.  but it's far more common for a bad or loose or dirty connector, or bad inside wire, or something has simply become corroded due to old age.  I have seen from personal experience cables that have literally NEVER been touched, come loose, and magically after I retighten it everything seems to work.  so I can tell you from personal experience that it happens.  

The STB's are equipped with a signal meter of sorts.

When you have a problem with pixelization on a channel then the second that you see the break up picture, hit menu, go down to customer support and navigate to the in home agent,   choose network diagnostics and it will tell you if your video signal is in range.

ALWAYS hit info and look at the SNR number.  it should at all times be between 32 and 36.

less than that is asking for trouble, and sometimes MORE than 36 can be too hot of a signal.

It is possible to have nasty channel break up on one or a handful of stations while not show any problems at all on others.

0 Likes