Optimal settings for Roku?
abelniak

Just got a Roku box for the holidays.  I have the FiOS Actiontec 1424 (that model number might not be exact; I'm not in front of my router at the moment, but it's the common one listed in these forums). Anyway, looking for what everyone else sets up for settings, including (but not limited to):

channel configuration (automatic; 1; 11; something else)

encryption method (WEP [weak, but the default]; WPA, WPA2 [strongest, but does it slow anything down?])

firewall (min,medium [default], max)

Also, do you all let everything in that can see the SSID and know the network password?  Or do any of you explicitly use MAC address filtering?  

Do you put any device in the DMZ to give it free and clear access to the Internet?

Any other tips/tricks for getting the most out of your FiOS signal from your wireless router and your streaming device?

0 Likes
Re: Optimal settings for Roku?
vz_ric
Contributor - Level 1

The router is wep encrypted by default and the ssid on the router is the default key. We don't walk you through setting up a DMZ or configuring any non FiOS equipment to the router although you are free to do so. You can access the router settings by opening any web browser on any connected device (wired or wireless) and type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. This should take you to the router login, the username will be admin and the password the ssid. Once in you can make any changes you like, just note that if you do anything that causes your service to stop working, you can factory reset the router by holding down the reset button in back of the router, this will restore all the defaults. Also should you call in to tech support for any reason involving internet or interactive TV troubles, you will most likely be asked to reset the router during troubleshooting and will have to reconfigure any changes you made, assuming those changes did not cause the actual trouble you were having.

0 Likes
Re: Optimal settings for Roku?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@abelniak wrote:

Just got a Roku box for the holidays.  I have the FiOS Actiontec 1424 (that model number might not be exact; I'm not in front of my router at the moment, but it's the common one listed in these forums). Anyway, looking for what everyone else sets up for settings, including (but not limited to):

channel configuration (automatic; 1; 11; something else)

encryption method (WEP [weak, but the default]; WPA, WPA2 [strongest, but does it slow anything down?])

firewall (min,medium [default], max)

Also, do you all let everything in that can see the SSID and know the network password?  Or do any of you explicitly use MAC address filtering?  

Do you put any device in the DMZ to give it free and clear access to the Internet?

Any other tips/tricks for getting the most out of your FiOS signal from your wireless router and your streaming device?

Hey there. 

Wired is always better than wireless, so if you can - think about wiring the roku to the router with an ethernet cable.  If it's too far, then think about getting a MOCA bridge.  the HME2200 and EB2200 are good models, plug and play and will give you pretty much flawless playback. 

If you go wireless, then you'll want to experiment with the channels.  Leave it on auto at first and if it plays fine, then don't worry about it.  Keep it in mind, though, that if any problems come up with streaming - then you'll want to revisit this topic. 

Generally speaking channels, 1, 6 and 11 are meant for North america, the other channels for wireless are non standard, and not recommended.      This portion here is not a fixed answer.  Some people have real good luck with channel 11, and some people can't get a good signal on channel 11 if their lives depended on it.  So you'll have to try 1, 6 and 11 individually to see which gives you the best performance.    

If you're wireless - then check out page 2 of actiontec's wireless guide, there are some general things to know about the router and it's physical set up to get the best wireless signal you can get.

With regards to Security -  Double check with the roku forums to see if there are any preferred methods.  WPA2 is the preferred, and you should not notice a difference in speed or performance when using it.

Firewall is a personal choice, I always leave it on medium, and I recommend only advanced users set it to anything higher.    you have to have a certain level of knowledge about your own in home network to use a higher firewall setting without running the risk of locking up a program or resource for access to the net. 

Mac Filtering has been proven to be not very effective a security measure, so I wouldn't worry about using it all.  It's rather easy find out and to spoof a mac address for a determined user.  

I very rarely put anything in the dmz.    I only use the DMZ for testing, if I need access to anything, then I'll use port forwarding.   

For tips - I would recommend those moca bridges over wireless, and if you have to go wireless, then take a look at some of the basics on that actiontec wireless guide.  a lot of people have their routers positioned in the house in a way that doesn't satisfy their wireless needs.

merry christmas, happy new year and enjoy the new toy!