Parental control - Time restriction
hbgpausa0

How can I control TV time for kids on Verizon FIOS?

Example:

I would like Kids TV on from 6:30PM to 7:30PM only

OR

I would like kids TV to be on for only 1 hour a day.

Is there any way? How do you control kids TV time?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Parental control - Time restriction
Hubrisnxs
Legend

That isn't a current feature, but in the next release of software, that is supposed to be available.  

probably expect that over the next few months.  right now you can buy a timer that shuts off the electricity at a certain time, but other than that, I don't know a good solution. 

0 Likes
hbgpausa0

Thank you.

0 Likes
dunnbj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been asking to this type of control for two years. I'm glad someone else sees the value. COX had this feature years ago. Does next few months mean prior to April 2011?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@dunnbj wrote:

I have been asking to this type of control for two years. I'm glad someone else sees the value. COX had this feature years ago. Does next few months mean prior to April 2011?

I would hope all the kinks are being worked out prior to release, but it is being tested by I believe over a hundred customers that had registered for the "1.9 Sneak Peek". Perhaps very soon, but I do not think there will be a specific date. Once it is released it will need to be sent out to customers following some sort of schedule. It is never done all at once. If you have not looked at the Blog, you may wish to look at it. There are many things in the next release, and some are not listed in the blog. Take a look.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/FiOS-TV-IMG-1-9-Release-Notes-and-Opportunity-to-Get-a-...

0 Likes
dwshasha

Yes, please!  I have also been interested in this feature for several years - ever since I started using Fios.  I want to be able to restrict TV access during homework time (after school but before I get home from work).  The ability for me to enable and disable access via the web would also be great.

0 Likes
AviC1

Is the new release available for general public? If yes, do we need to request it

0 Likes
CWMcManus

I like the thinking behind this question.  Verizon provides the ability to set 'Usage Controls' for the phones that exist under a plan; Also within the verizon modem, there is parental controls module that provides an opportunity to restrict internet use by time or content.  The controls are helpful for me as a parent especially for reducing opportunities to procrastinate during homework hours, or shutting down the house at a reasonable time. The usage controls for FIOS TV lag well behind the capabilities that are available for wireless, or internet.

I would be very interested in the kind of usage control features that would enable me to restrict view times (or content) through the set-top-boxes (STBs); 

I thought I read somewhere on the site that this capability was launched recently... Can anyone on this string verify?

Kind Thanks

0 Likes
iamthewalrus

I decided to set time restrictions for my set-top boxes this week.

I have it blocked from 7am - 8pm.  Worked great...at first.

But here is the incredibly maddening part.

Let's suppose I turn the TV on at 5pm.  It asks for my PIN, which I provide and access is granted.

But guess what?  Providing the PIN has now turned off time restrictions totally.

So, when done watching, you have to go back into Settings, etc, etc, and re-enable it.

What a stupid way to manage this.

It should simply be "I don't care what you did 5 minutes or 5 hours or 5 days ago.  If it is between 7am & 8pm, a PIN must be provided to access the set-top box". 

0 Likes
pfcman

I agree 100%

Charter had this feature and worked as you described

Plus with FIOS we should be able to enter the PIN remotely online

0 Likes