Re: Picture and audio dropout
Olson606

We've also experienced a consistent HD dropout since the new shows started up a couple weeks ago.  We are not having the same issue on the standard picture box or the basic stb's.  If I switch to local standard definition channel on the HD receiver it is stable.  It is killing our DVR recordings and having to drop down from HD to standard is not acceptable.  We've had the service for over a year and it just started a couple weeks ago.

I shut down the box and pulled the plug to reboot it.  Reset the router.  Bring everything back up and still, every night, it plagues this house.  My mother in law is having the same issue on their Fios service and they live a couple miles away.  Then my wife tells me they are having the same issue at the hospital she was visiting at today and checked it and yes it was verizon.  I've never had comcast TV in this house but I know I am ready willing and able to go that route....  I'll give it a couple weeks before I decide to convert to comcast.

I am using component video cables because the HDMI did not function correctly when we had it installed a year ago.

0 Likes
troubledwatcher
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi again,

Don't mean to sound like a jack%$# but I can relate, there's nothing worse after spending good money on an HDTV. It's just that I had the same problems...HD cutting out, DVR playback doing the same (because it was recording a show that was cutting out in the first place), and the basic stb's came in fine....unplugged the darn thing, went in circles with customer service and they reset the dvr from wherever they were, but still had trouble with HD...maybe you've already checked your signals and for that I'm sorry to bring it up again...but  32.0 to 33.0 db was fine for my standard channels and junk for HD. got rid of the nasty splitters, bumped up to 36.0 to 37.0 db and a.o.k (so far)...it's worth check'n if you haven't.

I don't have a clue myself..just got lucky...Sorry and goodluck

0 Likes
Olson606

I found where you can look at the signal ratio and ran the diagnostic.  It  says 24db.  I don't have any splitters on any of our cables as the wiring was done with the new house.  I did remember the box has this filter or something between the box and the cable that verizon installed it says "FAM-8" on it.  I took that off and it went to 25db...  Sounds like an issue in the signal strength.  However, it still doesn't explain why it had been fine for over a year and now it is not so fine...  I will check the signal during the day and see what that yields.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Olson606 wrote:

I found where you can look at the signal ratio and ran the diagnostic.  It  says 24db.  I don't have any splitters on any of our cables as the wiring was done with the new house.  I did remember the box has this filter or something between the box and the cable that verizon installed it says "FAM-8" on it.  I took that off and it went to 25db...  Sounds like an issue in the signal strength.  However, it still doesn't explain why it had been fine for over a year and now it is not so fine...  I will check the signal during the day and see what that yields.

That is an attenuator that you removed. Attenuators are installed to reduce the signal strength.The "-8" indicates 8 dB.

I have had FiOS TV for just over 4 years, and my DVR worked great for about 2 1/2 years or so. Suddenly one day I was unable to receive several of the HD channels. And of course they just happened to be channels I like to watch. So I did all of the troubleshooting I could think of, nothing helped, so I called the FSC. They agreed to send a tech out, and he came within about an hour or so. When I described what was happening, he reached behind the DVR, disconnected the coax, removed an FAM-6 attenuator, reconnected the coax, and all was well again. The attenuator had apparently been installed when I originally added FiOS TV, I had no idea it was there.

The FiOS tech normally measures the signal strength at each STB during installation, and if the signal is too strong, adds an attenuator of the appropriate value to reduce the signal to the correct level. But over time the signal coming to the STB can change - the output of the ONT can drop, coax connections anywhere between the ONT and the STB can loosen or become corroded, the coax can get pinched by furniture, lots of things can happen to affect the signal. So suddenly something that worked just fine yesterday doesn't work right today.

What you have experienced is pretty common I think.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
troubledwatcher
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sounds like your on the right track Olson, I actually got pixelation yesterday for the first time in over a week since I straightened out my wiring...not as bad as before and it came and went so I've been holding my breath (going on 24 hrs now). I'm sure the signal coming in to start with could well be different in Oregon than Mass. but when you mentioned no splitters, but you had an HD plus atleast one stb...I couldn't help but think you have some hidden somewhere?

I know out here it's only one feed coming to the house so if I had more than one set, I'd have to have a splitter...can't imagine they're running seperate feeds from outside for each room, even with a new house. 

0 Likes
swampscottDan3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all, just an update on my status from the original post.  My update is that there is no update.  My dropouts are still occuring.  I've tried the one new item mentioned on this thread and that was check the signal.  My signal is at 37,which from what I read is fine.  I've only checked this once, but will continue to check it periodically to see if maybe there are any large fluxes in my signal.  For now though, it does not seem to be the problem.  My line is not currently split.  I comes straight from the box outside the house to the STB, which is the 7216 I believe.  This was what the tech did when I called him originally.  He actually drilled a new hole in my wall to connect it.  I get no cutouts on the standard tv in the bedroom on the digital converter and no internet problems.  Just the HD TV signal, both HDMI and component.  I don't know.  I'm at a loss.  I love my verizon service, cable and internet, but I can't get past this annoying problem.  It sucks when you have people over to watch a game and the signal continues it's random dropping and you have to come up with explanations for everyone.  I'll be going back to comcast soon.

0 Likes
Kevin9019

My situation is very similar to what I am reading here. I can assure everyone that the house wiring is not the issue. Verizon wired my house and fully installed everything and it has acted up since. The problem is on their end. I pay a lot to have their service and feel cheated when I can't watch a show. We end up renting at the video store because of it. I will have to switch back to Comcast when my contract is up. Maybe if verizon put a little less cash into advertising and a little more into product support their service would be great.

0 Likes
Rebalol
Contributor - Level 1

This just started on my system, too. What's going on ?  I've been getting a lot of pixelation lately and tonigh I have the audio drop out problem...it's so annoying.  I'm checking my signal strength and it says 24...  now what?

0 Likes
swampscottDan3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I'm the orginal poster of this thread.  I just wanted to say that I received the 1.7 update a week ago.  I gave it a full week before updating this thread and I'm very pleased to say that I think this corrected the problem I was having.  I haven't had any dropouts since the update was released.  I'm going to mark this problem solved.  Thanks

0 Likes