Picture freezes and set top box goes out
eugene491
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has happened twice in the last month...I'm watching a program in real time and the pictures freezes and after a few seconds the box goes blank and so does the TV - with a 'no signal' message. After a minute or two, the box re-boots and things are back to normal. I don't know if it's a coincidence but both times this happened the DVR was recording a program on a different channel than the one I was watching - but that is the only thing that was being recorded. What is causing this problem - could it be the DVR or is there a problem with the FIOS signal?

0 Likes
Re: Picture freezes and set top box goes out
hockeyusa81
Enthusiast - Level 2
I've had the exact same issue after I added a 2 TB hard drive DVR expansion. I mentioned it in another forum post seeking assistance but have gotten nothing in terms of assistance. I have held off on recording much of anything after getting that problem every few recording attempts. I'm guessing since I didn't buy the recommended drives that were a full 1 TB less storage for more money that I won't be getting help from them.
0 Likes
knightstar

I am also having this problem.  This did NOT start until FIOS did the last upgrade which allows me to control the DVR from my other set top box.

I have the expanded DVR and it worked trouble free until the morning they did the upgrade.

I contacted the online chat today and asked them if anyone else has reported this and they said  "NO".  This automatically tells me they have!!!

In addition to the box locking up.  The very same day the upgrade was performed, now my picture keeps changing size on my HD TV.  In other words, you end up with black bands above or below the picture.  This NEVER happened prior to the update.

When I tell the person the super response is "We'll reload the box"  or maybe the box went bad.  That is so much **bleep**.  They just read the script put in front of them and that's it. 

Obviously I see I am not alone in some of these issues!

The only way I can get a reasonable picture is to set the DVR to 10801 16:9

Set the SB override to 480p  (which is not recommended)

Set the TV to 16:9

Keep in mind the day I installed this box several months ago, I did NOTHING, but plug it in and it worked perfect.

Until the update Verizon FIOS was the best service I ever had 

Too Bad they screwed it up and treat you like and idiot when you contact them!

0 Likes
JamaicanJewel1

Also since the upgrade, I am either unable to watch taped programs or in the middle of watching a taped program, a black blank screen shows up and either freezes the system or returns to the recorded program menu. So, effectively, I am losing the shows I tape. This happens while watching the shows on the DVR on which it was recorded, or remotely from my room; what happens remotely is a precursor of what will happen when I watch the same show of the box on which it was recorded. This is happening with all three (3) DVRs in the house.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service. You can also schedule a repair. Here is the link: http://www.verizon.com/repair

You can also find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue: http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The issue with freezing during playback while recording (or watching live while recording) is a known issue with the 1.9 update (reported during beta testing).  It will not be fixed by any tools, repairs, or CSR calls.  It is supposed to be in que for the 1.9.1 release - NO RELEASE TIME FRAME AVAILABLE.

I have found that if I power cycle the DVR when it freezes and before the screen blanks (need to be fairly quick) that the DVR won't reboot and you can restart the recording that was in progress or rewind the buffer if it was live TV.   My setup is with a QIP-7216P1 and a WD 1 TB external drive.  This is what I have found to work but YMMV.

0 Likes
eugene491
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry but can you explain what you mean by power cycling the DVR. Thanks.

@Keyboards wrote:

The issue with freezing during playback while recording (or watching live while recording) is a known issue with the 1.9 update (reported during beta testing).  It will not be fixed by any tools, repairs, or CSR calls.  It is supposed to be in que for the 1.9.1 release - NO RELEASE TIME FRAME AVAILABLE.

I have found that if I power cycle the DVR when it freezes and before the screen blanks (need to be fairly quick) that the DVR won't reboot and you can restart the recording that was in progress or rewind the buffer if it was live TV.   My setup is with a QIP-7216P1 and a WD 1 TB external drive.  This is what I have found to work but YMMV.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@eugene49 wrote:

Sorry but can you explain what you mean by power cycling the DVR. Thanks.

@Keyboards wrote:

Sorry,  just using the power button (on the remote or on the DVR),  NOT pulling the plug.  Should have been more specific.

0 Likes