Re: Picture Quality
larryh
Enthusiast - Level 2
Just wanted to chime in here.  I am in Ellicott City, Maryland (Howard County) and the picture quality of the SD stations through my HD box is terrible.  I have IMG 1.6.  I just switched from Comcast and I'm quite disappointed.  I've tried all combinations of video output settings to no avail.
0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2
Figured i would post an update to what i was told.  I was told that SD programming on 6200 and 6416 model boxes( i would assume the same thing for the 7xxx series but have no confirm) experienced a slight degrade with the IMG 1.6 update.  The picture quality should have been fine before the update but now probably has a softened or milky look to it.  I was advised of no target fix but the IMG developers are aware of the situation. 
0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2
Update:  Just got an update to this issue.  I have been informed this is to be fixed with IMG1.6.1.  From the looks of it everyone in this thread is reporting to be on IMG1.6.0. 
Message Edited by TheSanchez on 11-02-2008 01:41 PM
Message Edited by TheSanchez on 11-02-2008 02:19 PM
0 Likes
bsantelli1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any idea when 1.6.1 will be available?  I just switched from comcast, and this sd issue a big issue - I still have 10 days left within my 30 days, and would be nice to know if the 1.6.1 upgrade really does fix this issue.

How does verizon decide who will get the 1.6.1 upgrade?  will they send it out to everyone?  do I need to register my fuzzy sd complaint to try to get it pushed to me ahead of time?

I guess I could call, but the thought of being on hold for 30 mins, only to get someone that probably won't admit the fuzzy vod sd is a problem with the 1.6 upgrade.  it is an understatement to say I am less than pleased with the knowledge of the fios tv support people.  I have called several times with several questions, and get different answers each time.

0 Likes
bsantelli1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also - I have 1.6, build 06.86.  But I understand some people have build 06.89.  

Is there is a list of bugs fixed in the 06.89 build?  is there any way to get upgraded to that build?

0 Likes
bsantelli1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am curious if people that are experience the fuzzy SD VOD quality have the 6416/6200 or the new 7216/7200 series?

I saw some posts on other forums that sort of eluded to the fact that the fuzzy issue was only on the 6416/6200 boxes. 

Although I just signed up, they gave me the older boxes.

0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

The old IPG(verizon's first FiOS TV guide) was designed a few years back and was set to the highest "sharpness" level to allow SD video to look good on the older CRT TVs. When Verizon launched FiOS TV, this was the primary TV type in the field. After about a year, flat panel TVs began to take hold of the consumer market at a much faster pace and as our customers bought new TVs, we started to get PQ complaints about SD video on their new HDTVs. Besides the industry standard tagline of expected poor picture quality of 480i video unconverted for display on a 1366+ x 768+ resolution screen, we did find that the MPEG vertical filter set to a level of 26 allowed for the edges of the MPEG macroblocks building the image to be visible. So we began to work towards what changes we could make to improve SD PQ on HDTVs. The first change came when we first began IMG deployment IMG 1.0. The primary change here was a video scale change for SD from 704 pixels wide to 720 pixels wide - but no changes were made to the vertical filter. With IMG 1.5, we finally made changes to the MPEG vertical filter that we had wanted to do since the IPG. Even though we put the vertical filter where we wanted (level 6), Motorola had turned off MAD (motion adaptive deinterlacing) due to a request to support gaming low latency. IMG 1.6 was where we were able to correct MAD being left out of IMG 1.5. IMG 1.6 has the MPEG vertical filter set to level 6 (softer than 26, but not set to 0) and it has MAD turned on. The reason we have been saying IMG 1.6 will help SD picture quality on HDTVs is because the softening of the MPEG vertical filter allows for all the MPEG "mosquito noise"to get cleaned up. Yes, the picture is changed slightly, and could be called "softer"; but by all of our user studies - it was an absolute improvement. Note that these settings were not made for any specific TV, it is changes to how the ASTBs process SD video - HD video is not affected.

So now lets talk about IMG 1.6.1. Since it was 18 months between when we created the desired setting changes for IPG, that finally got implemented in IMG 1.6 - there has been much improvement with flat panel TVs (obviously). So, earlier this year we did another study with picture quality - and the result of this round of testing will come out in IMG 1.6.1. The picture is slightly sharper than what is in 1.6 and we put in a little edge enhancement. Again, by all accounts PQ in 1.6.1 is nothing but improved over 1.6.

However - every customer prefers their PQ to look a certain way, we are currently working on creating an "MPEG Slider" in IMG. Basically a menu option the customer can access to adjust the vertical filter / smoothing / edge enhancement abilities of the Broadcom chip in the STB. It will have 5 selectable settings available to choose from on this slider bar that customers can select one and decide if they like the PQ better or worse (much like the available picture settings on the TV itself). Once the customer has tried all 5 out, then they can choose which one they want to use, and of course change it later at any time. Again, these settings would only affect SD PQ on an ASTB.

Message Edited by Kathleen on 12-05-2008 10:41 AM
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@bsantelli wrote:

I am curious if people that are experience the fuzzy SD VOD quality have the 6416/6200 or the new 7216/7200 series?

I saw some posts on other forums that sort of eluded to the fact that the fuzzy issue was only on the 6416/6200 boxes. 

Although I just signed up, they gave me the older boxes.

Problem only applies to the 6xxx series.  Also, Verizon (to my understanding) is not giving out any 7xxx boxes at the moment until the other "features"  Smiley Mad (channel not available problem, audio cut out, etc.) are fixed.

0 Likes
izub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the 7216 sd is ok...i am having horrible distorted audio on a handful of sd channels and there is no fix, on my 3rd box...may need the tech to come out and check the cable run

On my 3rd box...seems like the 72 and 64 are identical except for a cable card...i have audio hiccup issues, I may return to the 64

0 Likes
tomhum

Any new word on sd pq fix schedule?  The degradation from 1.5 to 1.6 has been significant on a 50-inch plasma and a 36-inch crt.  Drop-outs, pixelation and audio pops also getting worse.  I have given up believing almost anything I am told when calling vz for any reason on anything.  Most know nothing; some give misinformation.  Depending on packages and equipment, we are now facing price increases for degraded service (the original clarity of sd on FIOS vs. DirecTV was the reason I originally changed).  Can't even get a glimmer of recognition when discussing possible replacement of 6400 series boxes with new (even though reported problems with those make me want to leave bad alone rather than going to worse).

Surely there are thousands of customers complaining.  As one with triple play, plus other home office lines and two wireless accounts, all with Verizon, I dread starting over.  But  I'm simple.  I just want to watch TV, the best I can get, and when widgets and other geegaws take precedence, I think I've invested too much with the wrong provider.

0 Likes