Pink Screen
cfnick

I have a Motorola QIP7232 receiver on one of my TV's that has a problem with "Pink Screen".  The other two DVR's I have are fine.  This started right at the installation 2 months ago.  When the service person started the unit up he got a pimk screen and was puzzled.  He reset the box and everything worked fine.  Since then the problem has become more frequent.  The only cure is unplugging the box to reset it.  It only happens when you first turn on the receiver.  It has never happened if I leave the receiver on and turn the tv on and off.  When it was first installed it would happen 1 out of 4 times you turned on the box.  Now it is more like 90% of the time you get Pink Screen when you start up the box.  Unplugging  always cures the problem but has become a pain in the neck.  Any ideas or should I replace the receiver?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pink Screen
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

That is likely a problem with the HDMI handshake issue that has cause so many other issues. If you search back on the boards for HDMI handshake issues, many of the symptions are the "blue screen", "green screen", and "pink screen". They are all the same problem, its just different manufactures of TV's use different color "error" screens. Basically the colored screen is an error where the STB and TV are not quite speaking the same language and the pic is not in a usable format for the TV. Some of the others here on the board may be able to provide some instructions for going in and changing some of the video settings, but I personally have found that the easiest solution is just to change from HDMI cable to Component cables (Red, Green, Blue). You get the same picture quaility (1080) without the errors. Some others found some results with changing the video settings or video resolution, but I found that just swapping to the componet cables was easier in my case and I like the fact that I still get the same picture quality (actually better in my case but that is unusual) as HDMI.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

That is likely a problem with the HDMI handshake issue that has cause so many other issues. If you search back on the boards for HDMI handshake issues, many of the symptions are the "blue screen", "green screen", and "pink screen". They are all the same problem, its just different manufactures of TV's use different color "error" screens. Basically the colored screen is an error where the STB and TV are not quite speaking the same language and the pic is not in a usable format for the TV. Some of the others here on the board may be able to provide some instructions for going in and changing some of the video settings, but I personally have found that the easiest solution is just to change from HDMI cable to Component cables (Red, Green, Blue). You get the same picture quaility (1080) without the errors. Some others found some results with changing the video settings or video resolution, but I found that just swapping to the componet cables was easier in my case and I like the fact that I still get the same picture quality (actually better in my case but that is unusual) as HDMI.

0 Likes
cfnick

Thanks I will give this a try.

0 Likes
s_chev

I just received my second QIP 7232 P2 today from the UPS man.  When I called tech support about my pink screen issue, they said it was an issue with the STB.  After digging around on this forum, I'm not so sure a new box will fix this.

Does it make more sense to just switch over from HDMI to the Componant cables?  Will this replacement QIP most likely do the same thing?  It seems to happen (the pink screen) when we switch the inputs on the LCD TV from the game input back to HDMI.  The only way to fix it that I've found is to cycle the power cord on the QIP.

I'm not looking forward to trying to watch all that I have recorded asap so that I can change the boxes out and then set up all of my recordings again.

Should I just return the replacement box and switch over the cables instead?

Thanks,

~Steve

0 Likes
cfnick

Swapping out the HDMI cable for a  Video Component cable worked for me.

0 Likes