Pixelation and sound issues
LShindledecker

We have a Sansui 26" HDTV and currently switched from the Standard Definition STB (2500 series) to a HD DVR (6416 Series) box.  We are pluged thru a HDMI cable.  We are getting pixelation and loss of sound at least every other day.  Sometimes if very little (almost subliminal) and other times it is very bad.  We have checked the connections over and over again and have had to call in support over the phone to get the DVR reset on several ocassions.  We never had any issues with the old box.  Is this a common problem with HDTVs?

We were very excited about switching to the DVR box, so we could record our shows, but frankly, we are getting tired of it.

Does any one have any suggestions?

LShindledecker

0 Likes
Re: Pixelation and sound issues
AVITWeb
We are having similar issues here lately. Where are you located? We are in Mercer Co, NJ
0 Likes
LShindledecker
We are in Temecula, Ca
0 Likes
AVITWeb

k..ummmm how is this a "solved" issue?

Anyway, this problem seems to have crept in over the past couple of weeks. At first I thought it was our TV but shot that down quickly by tuning to the same channels OTA. I do not understand, unless it has something to do with the channel changes, but we aren't slated for those until the end of the month. I was watching Olympic Diving Trials the other day and it looked pathetic, and it was on UHD....it seems to be the box (HDDVR here) but I cannot be certain.

0 Likes
LShindledecker

I feel like this whole HDTH thing is more trouble than what is worth. Do you?  I think I am going to have Verizon send one of their techs out.  Them reseting to unit from their end is not doing the job.  If we are paying extra for the DVR, then it should work right.  Don;t you think?

I wouldn't be surprise if we end up being charge for the service call......

L 😞

0 Likes
Just_helping

If the service was fine with the SD box (2500) I suspect that your inside coax cabling is fine. Since you are now using the HDMI off the DVR, I would suspect one of three things:

The HDMI cable

The STB

The HDMI port on your TV

Please do call to have a tech come out, but in the meantime, you may want to try Component Cables. They are perfectly capable of delivering HD content to your TV. The benefit of the hdmi is that it can support 1080p, but nothing is being broadcast in 1080p right now and I doubt a 26 inch TV would support 1080p. The point is that there is no real benefit from using the HDMI cable, except that it looks neater behind the set.

0 Likes
LShindledecker

Thanks, I will check into the cable options.

L "-)

0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1
I'm having the same problem with my 6416 HD DVR hooked to my standard 32" TV through component cables.  Don't have the problem with my 2408 SD DVR, also hooked to a 32" TV, but through the cable input.  So it would seem that it's probably not the received signal nor how the unit is hooked up, but an internal bug that surfaces when viewing on a standard TV.
0 Likes
Pappydsp
Enthusiast - Level 3

FWIW: You may want to confirm that it's the STB that is the source of the problem by disconnecting the STB from the HDTV and then connect another input source, such as a DVD player.  If you still get pixelation and sound problems - it could be your tv. 

0 Likes
LShindledecker

Thanks for all your suggestions.  If tried all of them.  I finaly gave up and called the tech guy to come in. 

Apparently the wireing was bad and was giving a bad signal.  The reason it was not apparent with the old STB box, is because those boxes are not made to pickup every little detail.  The new HD DVR boxes are "very sensitive". FYI....the price for all that sensitivity....was $80.

L 😞

0 Likes