Pixelation during commercials
bsilverm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since we’ve gotten Verizon (November 2019) we’ve had an issue where certain commercials are always pixelated/distorted, which ironically includes all Verizon’s own commercials. The main issue with this issue is that when we DVR a show where this happens, we’re unable to fast forward past the distorted commercial and often need to restart the show to get past it. The issue never happens on live TV and happens on all our Fios One boxes. Anyone else experience this and know of a fix?

0 Likes
Re: Pixelation during commercials
PhillyFan3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had this same problem for a long time now.  I have a DVR in my living room (QIP 7232 2) and a regular cable box in my bedroom (QIP 7100 1) which can see and play the programs recorded on the DVR.

Verizon had me check the signal strength on the specific channel when it happened, check the ONT in my utility closet to make sure all of the lights were green (I recently had a new one put in that could handle gigabyte transmission) and had me swap out coax cables.  We could never figure out the issue and I gave up as Verizon kept telling me it was a problem most likely on my side and it could cost me a lot of money for them to come out unless I purchased their insurance.

Since this issue only happens during commercials, of which it is a Verizon commercial 99% of the time, I am chalking it up to them pumping out their commercials on a higher or different bandwidth for some unknown reason.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@PhillyFan3 wrote:

I have had this same problem for a long time now.  I have a DVR in my living room (QIP 7232 2) and a regular cable box in my bedroom (QIP 7100 1) which can see and play the programs recorded on the DVR.

Verizon had me check the signal strength on the specific channel when it happened, check the ONT in my utility closet to make sure all of the lights were green (I recently had a new one put in that could handle gigabyte transmission) and had me swap out coax cables.  We could never figure out the issue and I gave up as Verizon kept telling me it was a problem most likely on my side and it could cost me a lot of money for them to come out unless I purchased their insurance.

Since this issue only happens during commercials, of which it is a Verizon commercial 99% of the time, I am chalking it up to them pumping out their commercials on a higher or different bandwidth for some unknown reason.

I've got to say that sounds like a mis-diagnosis. If the program material on that channel are fine and it is ONLY affecting the commercials, then the feed from whoever is supplying the commercials is the issue. A lot of that is local, tailored to specific markets and it is entirely possible somebody is sending the wrong resolution down the pipe without realizing it.

PhillyFan3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I may have very well misdiagnosed the issue.  I was just guessing.  I would think Verizon would be able to figure it out though.

If it affected the actual shows then I would care and push for a resolution, but since it is just the commercials, which are Verizon commercials 99% of the time, it is not worth my time being on the phone with Verizon.

All they will have me do, again, is reboot my equipment, unplug and plug stuff in, and/or tell me to get new cables.  It is just guesswork on their part and they do not seem to know the answer nor do they care about figuring it out.

Is it annoying; absolutely!  If it gets fixed, great.  If not, well it is their commercials I am not seeing.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@PhillyFan3 wrote:

I may have very well misdiagnosed the issue.  I was just guessing.  I would think Verizon would be able to figure it out though.

If it affected the actual shows then I would care and push for a resolution, but since it is just the commercials, which are Verizon commercials 99% of the time, it is not worth my time being on the phone with Verizon.

All they will have me do, again, is reboot my equipment, unplug and plug stuff in, and/or tell me to get new cables.  It is just guesswork on their part and they do not seem to know the answer nor do they care about figuring it out.

Is it annoying; absolutely!  If it gets fixed, great.  If not, well it is their commercials I am not seeing.

What I was trying to say was the Verizon technician made the mis-diagnosis, not you. If the program stream is good, then the equipment is too. Nothing you can do on your end, it's a problem with whoever is doing the commercial insertion.

Still Happening
phillygwm1

This is an issue I've encountered for some time.  Only during certain commercials (not just Verizon) and on both of my TV's.  It's always been annoying but nothing I'd spend a lot of time to troubleshoot or call tech support on.  I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one with the issue, even two years after the initial thread.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes