Pixellation when using VOD
tannor1
Enthusiast - Level 3
HI, So far I got my other issues resolved by replacing the DVR that I had posted in an earlier thread. I was curious has anyone seen if you are doing any sort of uploads and not talking huge upload like maybe 50k / sec on average max while trying to watch any type of show on VOD it will cause all sorts of pixellation? It does not effect regular channels only the VOD. I understand that VOD comes through by way of of the router, so if all my upload was being taken up like if I was doing 25 mbs upload constantly then I can see that. But for what little data being uploaded basically vpn into work it should not effect my VOD right? I currently have HD-DVR and everything else is working great. Just curious why something that little would cause it? Thanks
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pixellation when using VOD
tannor1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought I update just in case anyone else ever runs into this, I had multiple service calls probably saw 6 techs and finally resolved it..  The FIOS support team finally found a solution.  They had to run cat5e from the outside ONT into the router.  As soon as he did that fixed the issue.

At first he ran a new RG-6 coaxial cable thinking that would fix it, but did not work until he ran the cat5e.  FIOS technian said he never seen this but now knows what to do for future.

I am just so glad it is fixed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tannor1
Enthusiast - Level 3

also i notice the problem when my wife is watching tv and i am playing an online game any game say like Call of duty.  But if just browsing the web and say downloading files it is fine.

0 Likes
sturner0430
Enthusiast - Level 2
I just gave up trying to watch Iron Man 2 in HD, and I have a 1 Gigabit router, a wired connection using Cat 6 cable. I would get about 10 to 20 seconds of good streaming and then total crap, pixelation, no sound, etc. Amazing that Netflix streams with maybe one or two small stutters at the most, yet Verizon can't stream from their own site without problems. I also find it dismaying and disgusting that there is no simple method of contacting Verizon for support without. I suppose I could phone them, but the phone numbers are usually buried deep. Customer support are words Verizon likes to use. They don't really provide it, they just like to use those words. I suppose this makes me a disgruntled customer.
0 Likes
tannor1
Enthusiast - Level 3

An update:  problem has not been resolved:

Hi,

I seem to have a unique problem that no one has been able to resolve.

I got FIOS triple play installed 2 weeks ago. Whenever I use the internet specifically uploading anything, does not matter if it is 10k/sec or 5 mb/sec I get lots of artifacts and pixellation while using VOD, all other channels work. If I am just downloading a youtube movie or maxing out my download any other way it works fine. But if I am paying an online game that constantly uploads it happens.

So far support has sent me a new router, new dvr box, Fios technician was here for 3 hours on Monday, changed all splitters, and redid the heads of all the coax connections and could not figure out what is wrong. He said signal strength is good according to the dvr box and router something about it being 250+. he also switched my router an dvr again. he said he is out of ideas, and said internet activity should not cause any issues with VOD.

he said I should call and ask for tier 2, but to be honest not sure how far I will get and wanted to try this route first.

Any suggestions on what I can do? Is this normal?

I have 2 weeks left to decide if I want to cancel and or just live with it and make sure no one is doing any uploading while watching a movie or any VOD.

Only other thing left to change in my house would be existing coaxial cables, but he did not seem to want to do that and maybe the ONT, I don't think he replaced that but was not outside.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Likes
Pauly
Enthusiast - Level 3

Only thing to cause pixelazation during vod playback is a bad connection between the router and the stb. I do a lot of uploading to my websites. Even when the kids are watching VOD and it does not affect it. Things you can try is reseating coax cables from the stb, and the wall, and the router and the wall and powercycling the router. If not may need someone from VZ to look at the coax inside the house and splitters. Could also be a bad router.  Do you have more that one QIP stb, try another box, and see if you have the same issue.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Internet traffic should not affect the VOD. The way that Verizon provisions the system is that the Internet and VOD are on separate "circuits" or "channels". (for lack of a better word). The internet should be working on say "channel 1" and be set to the speed that your plan calls for. (say 35/35). The VOD should be working on "channel 2" and this is basically its own connection that should be set to 50/20. And this bandwidth is reserved exclusively for the VOD. These 2 "channels" have their own bandwidth and priority and should not affect one another.

Now that is how it is supposed to work. Now sometimes, the router simply cannot handle the bandwidth. But it sounds like you've covered that, having the router replaced. Replacing the splitters and cabling are also good steps. Sounds like they have eliminated nearly everything.

I can think of 3 additional things that they should try. Assuming they havent already, but you didnt mention it (you may not know if they did or not)

1. Replace the ONT. It is possible that the ONT is not separating the two Data paths correctly. This is done at the ONT connection, not the router connection.

2. Verizon Network Techs should make sure that the VOD data path is correctly set for the 50/20 connection. They should have already done this before they sent out the Field Tech, but you never know.

3. Swap the internet connection from the ONT to the router from MOCA to Ethernet. It may be that the Moca system is simply not able to handle all the bandwidth. This does not usually happen, but we have seen it before here on the boards where beyond all logical reasons, the Moca just not work properly. And switching to the good old fashion Ethernet solves the issue.

Of course I may be missing something or some of this may have already been tried. But off the top of my head these sound like the most likely given what you have said so far.

0 Likes
tannor1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks everyone for responding.  Verizon sent me a PM that they are sending out a field technician to help diagnose with this.

It been a week since he was here and it is still happening.  As far as I understand only thing that has not changed in the house when he was here was the ONT, and the existing coaxial cables.

I know he used all of my existing coaxial that has been in the house for probably 15+ years since I bought the house and cable was installed, who knows, most of it is RG-59.  I am thinking maybe one of these cables are just bad?  Not sure even though he changed all of the connectors on the cables.  I wonder if there is a way he can actaully test the signal from the cable itself.

When the technician was here he did change the splitter and changed how the cables were run but used existing cable, he should have used brand new cable to rule that out.

He also redid all of the heads on the coaxial, and I do not have anymore STB to test out, but I have went through 3 of them, so don't think that is the issue. 

Here an example last night I was playing World of Warcraft, while my wife was watching VOD and it was doing the artifacts/pixellation, as soon as I stopped playing WoW it went away.  But if I go and and watch a high res movie on youtube, it does not happen, my guess is since the youtube is only downloading and not uploading.  The thing is when playing any online game it does not use a lot of upload, becuase you can play these games on dial up, not that I recommend it but use to before the days of Cable modems.

0 Likes
tannor1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought I update just in case anyone else ever runs into this, I had multiple service calls probably saw 6 techs and finally resolved it..  The FIOS support team finally found a solution.  They had to run cat5e from the outside ONT into the router.  As soon as he did that fixed the issue.

At first he ran a new RG-6 coaxial cable thinking that would fix it, but did not work until he ran the cat5e.  FIOS technian said he never seen this but now knows what to do for future.

I am just so glad it is fixed.

0 Likes
famtime
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had live chats, phone conversations, and one tech guy to change the outside box and splitter...still we have pixelating, tileing and sound issues when renting movies on demand.  I can't find a customer service email to send our note of frustration and i refuse to get back on the phone for hours without a good result.  I am seriously considering switching from verizon to Optimum...anyone do this and have a better result.  My family and I are giving up on fios!

thanks

jerodradi
Enthusiast - Level 1
I have been having the same problems also when I rent or buy a movie in OnDemand. It's constant pixelation and no sound or it's some choppy sounds.it just goes on for hours. By the time I was able to see my movie I rented was 18-24 hrs later . I have rented The Great Gatsby &The wolverine. Something has to be done. Now I have to wait to see if The Wolverine movie I rent just now can play clear every hour. It's just now playing right this moment. This really sucks!!!
0 Likes