Poor Picture Quality on Quantum TV
jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok so lately i have noticed that I have poor picture quality when watching anything. It is really noticeable with backgrounds that are dark. I notice smearing or black articats and it looks fuzzy around certain parts. Its not my tv because if i watch any other source on my tv everything is crystal clear. Has anyone come across this issue before? And before i go through all my troubleshooting steps that i have done, let me start by saying i am a former verizon employee and currently a systems engineer so troubleshooting is what i do.

So far i have tried all these troubleshooting steps with no success.

tried all the Verizon troubleshooting fix tv fixes on the receiver

Unplugged power and all cables to VMS receiver.

Reseated all cables confirmed the connections were tight.

Factory reset VMS receiver.

changed all the splitters in my house and tightened all connections. (used brand new splitters provided by verizon tech)

checked my connections on the ONT.

moved my client box to my tv but still the same. Have the same issue on all tvs and all receives vms or client.

i think that the issue is either my VMS or my ONT. I am leaning towards its being the ONT and after speaking with with some of my Verizon Fios tech friends I am thinking it is the ONT because i have the older B-ONT i think its called and not the newer G-ONT.

What are my options? Can i get Verizon out to replace my ONT? I am really getting frustrated and will think about switching to anoter service or cancelling my TV service altogether soon.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Poor Picture Quality on Quantum TV
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@RG625 wrote:

I forgot to ask...

You guys established the video quality is better on the VMS4100 STBs in terms of the issues discussed here.

But do you guys have the VMS4100 video setting set to to 2160p where the STB actually does the upscaling?

Suppose one wants the video setting on 1080i to let the TV to the upscaling? Can I expect the same improvement in picture quality over the VMS1100?? 

Tough call as I had the 7200 boxes and skipped the 1100. It was an improvement over the 7200 in PQ, and as far as scaling goes it isn't too bad either. It seems to apply some enhancement processing the earlier boxes didn't have. Still the same signal coming in, so if you dont like it you could go back to the 1100. Also the scaling question is greatly affected by the TV you are using. Some may be better, others worse.

View solution in original post

freshjs_23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem and have read several other forums with the same issue.  This is a brand new connection (Gigabit internet and Triple Play Ultimate package) and the VMS is connected to a 82in Samsung MU8000 series 4k tv and the picture quality is way worse then my 4 year old 55in LG LCD $500 tv.  

I have seen numerous posts that the fix was replacing the new quantum gear with the older equipment and the picture quality went back to being crystal clear.  If I run Netflix or any other source the picture is crystal clear as well so it's only the Verizon connection that has the issue.

0 Likes
jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response. Must be something in these model VMS then. Kinda don’t wanna go backwards to the old DVRS and stuff. 

0 Likes
freshjs_23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with you and definitely won't be going back to the old equipment.  I just can't believe the new quantum equipment hasn't been addressed yet with all the complaints I've seen.  I don't think replacing my brand new ONT is going to fix the issue but I'm running out of options.

I've tried going into the settings on the VMS and changed the video output to 1080i and 1080p and still no difference.  You can try that if you haven't already as I did see one post where it fixed it bc it is natively set to 720p by default.   I had no luck with that or any other settings on my VMS or TV.

IF you figure something out that works please update me and I will do the same.

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

If I may ask, what kind fo cabling are you using to send video from the VMS to the TV?

Is your TV a 4k TV?

Have you tried making sure the box is sending a 1080 picture? (Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings > Video Format)

jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

my VMS and all client boxes are connected to TV via HDMI cables. I even changed the HDMI cables and tried different ports on all my tvs. It does the same thing on all my tvs but my TVS are Samsung 1080P LED not 4K. and yes i checked the format was 1080p.

0 Likes
freshjs_23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes using all HDMI High Speed cables that are rated for 4k ... Using a 2 4k tvs and 1 older LG LCD which happens to be putting out a better picture than the 4k tv's now that we have switched to quantum.  

The problem is definetely with the new Arris VMS 1100 they are giving customers for Quantum.  It's all over the forums and as soon as you put and Motorola box in its place the problem is gone and the picture is crystal clear.  

I've been to my in laws who have comcast with a 6000 series 4k Samsung tv (which is the lowest end Samsung line) and the picture is crystal clear and flawless.  It blows my 82in 8000 series away.  I'm starting to consider going to Comcast for TV and keep Verizon for the gigabit internet connection.

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am actually pretty curious now, I am going to take at look at my VMS and see what I can do to improve the picture quality.

Hmm on HD channels even? I will take a closer look.

jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does it in all channels.

0 Likes
freshjs_23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm only referring to HD channels as that is the only thing I watch.  95% HD sports channels such as ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, GOLF HD, and any other channel that hosts sports in HD.

** It could be happening for Standard Def too I just haven't checked those since the only channels i do watch are all HD.

0 Likes