poor picture quality - Verizon says "sorry"
speonjosh

So I got the triple play installed about a month ago.

I was disappointed with the picture quality from the start. Finally, I figured out how to switch back and forth between FIOS and my still installed antenna by just pushing one button on the tv itself (Samsung PN42A450P). My worst fears were confirmed. The picture is substantially worse than what comes over the air. Yes, I'm comparing apples to apples - put same channel on both FIOS and on the television, switch back and forth. Substantial difference in both HD and regular programming.

So I called Verizon. FIrst time, the guy says oh maybe you need coax cables, maybe in your case HDMI not better solution. He sent me cables, I installed - no help.

Second time I called, they said there was nothing else they could do.

HELP!

Yes, FIOS gives me waaaay more channels and doesn't flicker in and out like the antenna does during thunderstorms and the like. But a better picture is what Verizon advertizes. "Razor sharp" I think is what I have seen. I still believe it is possible. What else can I try?

0 Likes
Re: poor picture quality - Verizon says "sorry"
sgip2000

I'm convinced that if you're having a quality problem, it's probably the box. 

I have a TivoHD and 2 TV's with digital tuners and both all receive a great picture on HD channels.

Most cable companies compress their signals more than Verizon so, you probably won't do any better as far as signal quality.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

speonjosh,

Nobody is going to be able to give you any real help without more information. So:

1) What type of set top box (STB) from Verizon do you have (model)?

2) How is the STB (currently) connected to the TV (directly or through audio/video receiver, HDMI, component, cable, etc)? What other connections have you tried?

3) What settings do you have in the STB for your Video Settings in the Menu?

4) Anything else you can think of to tell us more about how you have everything set up?

I suggest we start with the above info and perhaps someone can help. From your post it sounds like you are (or were?) using HDMI cables but I can't be sure. And your reference to coax is confusing, you will never, ever get HD picture quality with coax between the STB and the TV.

I have had FiOS TV for almost 4 years with a Sony LCD HDTV and a QIP 6416 DVR and the HD picutre is superb and the SD picture is good to very good, so I think there must be something wrong with your setup.

Keller, TX 76248  

0 Likes
speonjosh

1. It's the Motorola 7100.

2. Currently using HDMI cables.

3. Sorry, I meant to say "component" cables. Not coax. To recap - had HDMI from start. Unhappy with picture quality, so called Verizon. They sent me component cables. No improvement. I can't believe there is no way to make this picture better, especially since it is substantially worse than simply using an antenna.

4. What specific settings would be of interest? However, I've tried playing with the basic STB settings - changing from 740 to 1080, etc. No noticeable difference between the two. Have tried multiple variations using the television menu. Minor help, but nothing significant.

5. I read elsewhere that perhaps it's a handshake issue between the STB and my television and I should unplug the TV for a bit? Does that make sense?

I will be greatly appreciative if anyone can help.

0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2

Hello there.  Is this the only TV that you have hooked up to a Verizon set top box?  Feel free to send me a direct message (click on my icon>send this user private message) with any of your account info, and I will run some tests from here to help diagnose.  The good news is, if you are getting poor picture quality but your equipment is ok, then it is something that can be fixed. 

0 Likes
speonjosh

Clicking on your icon takes me to a page with your information. I don't see anything about "send this user a private message" I'd be happy to do so if I could figure out how to. Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@speonjosh wrote:

Clicking on your icon takes me to a page with your information. I don't see anything about "send this user a private message" I'd be happy to do so if I could figure out how to. Any other suggestions?

Try looking on the right hand side of the page under CONTACT.  There should be a link for  "Send this user a private message" (right above "add FIOSTechBrian to freinds").

0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2

Ok, well I just looked into your account, and I have some good news.  High Definition programming was never downloaded to your Verizon set top box.  That is why you are not getting a quality picture, you are viewing standard definition instead of high definition.  I am working to get that resolved for you. 

0 Likes
speonjosh

This is great. Amazing and very puzzling that neither of the two people I spoke to on the phone about this noticed. But great.

What will I need to do on my end?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

One other thing that I may add, is if you are looking at the HD and SD programming from the Antenna on say channels 4,5,7, or 9 for local channels. The Local channels with the same numbers on Verizon could be considerably less quality. This is because the broadcast digital may be in higher resolution than the SD channels on Verizon at the same channel number. HD channels for locals start at say 504, 505, 507, or 509 for example. Just a thought. Like Brain said if your HD is not enabled you may not be able to tune these channel numbers, or get the HD quality. My HD is "Stunning".

Good luck and enjoy.

PS. It seams as though all the top notch techs are here in the forums, and they notice alot.Smiley Wink

0 Likes