Poor video quality after upgrade from legacy boxes.
Fire488
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I recently upgraded from the legacy boxes to the newer Quantum boxes so I would be able to record more shows/movies and with the new boxes outputting in 1080p from 1080i I figured it was a good deal. Prior to the change the FIOS tech marveled at the picture quality on my 75 inch Samsung 4k UHD set. I went from 7 boxes to 6 boxes. This required the use of two multi room DVR,s (VMS 1100) as well as 4 smaller boxes. The large white ONT was replaced as well to 2 smaller white boxes in my basement. My router was also replaces and speeds upgraded from 75/75 to 150/150. Signals were checked and they were within specs. This is now where the fun begins....

When i turned on my TV i noticed a dramatic loss of picture quality especially when there was movement on the screen. It looked washed out and there were blurry lines now on the screen. Faces were sort of blurry and obscured. I mentioned this to the tech who prior to the upgrade had marveled at the picture quality and he said it looked good to him. I checked all the other 6 TV's which were 1080p sets and noticed that problems were on every single set. The tech basically ran out of the house and told me to call tech support on that Monday. I called once he left and had a tech show up. He ran tests and the numbers were all within specs. He admitted that he did not know much about the FIOS issues beyond what the meter told him. He admitted that the picture was unacceptable.

I called and requested Tier 2 support and went through some tests on the DVR. I was asked to go to settings and read the OOB Data. The tech was concerned that the SNR value which was 25.1 DB. He told me that for HD you need a minimum spec of 32 DB. He told me that he would put notes in that the fiber cable needs cleaning and to check my Coax cables ( which worked fine before)for the tech coming back to my house. Did not work. The DVR was changed and still the same. The ONT's were changes with the fiber cables cleaned, splitter changed. Did not work. A cable booster was added and it did not change a thing. The techs are completely stumped and have no idea what to do. All TV's have poor video quality on HD with unwatchable SD quality. The signal is poor on all channels and seems to be reduced on SD as well. This Monday they are changing my OSD again to the older one piece one that will still work with my boxes.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? That SNR value of 25.1 has not changed on any channel, but the tech is not taking it too serious as the Tier 2 phone support guy did.

0 Likes
Re: Poor video quality after upgrade from legacy boxes.
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Quantum boxes require a higher SNR than legacy.

One issue might be splitters.

Double check that all conenctions to them are tight.

Also, you mentioned you dropped a box.

Make sure that you didn't end up with a splitter with one port not terminated.

And if the spliters are older, you might need to replace them.

Maybe you can beg a few from tech when he comes out.

Fire488
Enthusiast - Level 1

I should have mentioned that the splitter was changed as well as there are no other cables connected that dont belong. Each TV is a home run from the splitter. We also ran a new cable from the ONT to the DVR direct which bypassed the splitter just to test. The picture did not change at all and was still very poor quality.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What type of cable is it and how long?

It could be an ont issue.

Ask tech to check levels leaving ont to see if that is the issue.

0 Likes
jporto
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having a similar issue, I recently purchased a 65 inch Samsung 4k TV and upgraded to quantum service. Certain channels look awful, faces distorted ... sometimes blurry.

Initially i thought it was the TV, but i can use an Amazon firetv box .. netflix in 4k and it looks absolutely beautiful.

I've just been reading up, and the only thing the tech changed was he ran CAT5 from the ONT to the new router.

TV looked beautiful before, i really don't know where to begin to troubleshoot ... everything is brand new. Splitter, Coax etc...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried changing video settings on stb?

Or if you have more than 1, try a different stb?

0 Likes
jporto
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah, tried changing video settings on stb ... other stb has the same issue. I had a verizon tech out to the house yesterday, and recorded a show when the issue happens.

Everything tested "Ok", but the tech did say a majority of their calls are because of the new quantum stbs. He said the new boxes have some sort of software/firmware glitch that has yet to be fixed ... he did a hard reset, and so far it looks alright.

I never had this issue with the legacy moto DVR... now im second guessing my upgrade to quantum. 😞

Id like to mention all the coax is new, new splitters ... ONT is about 6 years old. 

0 Likes
freshjs_23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you still having an issue with the picture quality and your 4k tv?  I'm having the same issue with quantum upgrade and my 82in MU8000 4k tv.  I've read a bunch of posts with this same issue and no real resolution so I would like to try why you did if it fixed your issue. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Big_Tony_PA

Hello All in this tread! 

I have notices as well that the legacy Motorola boxes had a better pic. Also I new issue: I replaced my 10 year old Sharpp Aquos with the top of the line Sony A1E.  Everything is sharp except for peoples faces when driven by the FIOS STB.  If I watch content on Android TV (build-tin) under Google Play or NETFLIX the picture is PERFECT, the FACES are PERFECT.  I am at my wits end of this.  Do I need an external HDMI 1080p to 4K upconverter to get the proper signal for my 4K tv?   Any help would be appreciated! 

0 Likes