Power outage: DVR 'forgets' favorites on reboot
bevross
Contributor - Level 1

I have a 7216 DVR.  For the second time now, a power outage has necessitated I reboot it (actually -- the first time was just unplugging it for 10 minutes).  Both times I've had to reset favorites.  Happily, it still has my prior recordings and the schedule I set up (perhaps because I maintain the schedule online?)  Can't understand, if it can 'remember' the recording schedule, why not favorites?

Also -- is it normal that after losing power the DVR would need to be reset to work?  There was a 0 and then a 1 in the display at various points.

0 Likes
Re: Power outage: DVR 'forgets' favorites on reboot
Tom_VZ
Enthusiast - Level 3

bevross,

I am sorry to hear about you losing your favorites on the 7216 DVR. I would like to help you. I have a question about the current issue you are having.

Are you losing the favorites only after the box loses power or a power cycle (unplug and plug back in from power outlet), or do you call tech support and have the box reset?

The only way for a Set-Top Box on FiOS can lose favorites is a Initialization command that can only be done over the phone with tech support or by our automated system. DVR Recording will only be lost if you call into tech support and we preform Cold Initialization.

Let me know what is happening in regards to resets and we can work together on a resolution.

0 Likes
bevross
Contributor - Level 1

@Tom_VZ wrote:

bevross,

I am sorry to hear about you losing your favorites on the 7216 DVR. I would like to help you. I have a question about the current issue you are having.

Are you losing the favorites only after the box loses power or a power cycle (unplug and plug back in from power outlet), or do you call tech support and have the box reset?

The only way for a Set-Top Box on FiOS can lose favorites is a Initialization command that can only be done over the phone with tech support or by our automated system. DVR Recording will only be lost if you call into tech support and we preform Cold Initialization.

Let me know what is happening in regards to resets and we can work together on a resolution.

Tom_VZ -- thanks for your response!   Twice now (once after losing poswer for 24 hrs and once after unplugging for 10 minutes) -- when the DVR powered up it powered up with blank screen or a zero or a 1 on the screen.  First time this happened I called tech support and they did the reset remotely.  This second time I did it myself without calling support using the PC software (on-line assistant or something).

It look a long while, though, in both instances, for the guide/menu/ front display clock to show up (~20 min.).  Tech support even went so far as to start setting up an exchange for my DVR (he thought it was taking too long to come back).  But, in the middle of setting up the order, everything popped back to normal (though I lost favorites). 

Since I didn't lose recordings, must not have performed the "cold" initialization.  Does it make sense that I would lose favorites (along with a few other menu customizations) and NOT recordings & the DVR schedule?  It's just a bit of a pain to have to go through when I've lost power (brief power offs have not been an issue).

Maybe I have a good excuse to get switched out to one of the new 500GB DVRs free!

0 Likes
Tom_VZ
Enthusiast - Level 3

bevross,

Ok, I would like you to try the following when you can.

1. Setup a favorites list on the remote  like 10 channels or so

2. Unplug the power to your DVR for 2 minutes

3. Plug back in and wait for time....(it can take a several minutes for time to display)

4. Turn on DVR and check to see if favorites are saved

If your favorites are missing let me know and we can arrange to talk further about your DVR.

0 Likes
bevross
Contributor - Level 1

@Tom_VZ wrote:

bevross,

Ok, I would like you to try the following when you can.

1. Setup a favorites list on the remote  like 10 channels or so

2. Unplug the power to your DVR for 2 minutes

3. Plug back in and wait for time....(it can take a several minutes for time to display)

4. Turn on DVR and check to see if favorites are saved

If your favorites are missing let me know and we can arrange to talk further about your DVR.

O.K. -- unplugged for 2 minutes and nothing was lost on plugging back in -- everything came up (e.g., time on the display) rather quickly.  Guess problem only shows up after power's out for a longer period.

0 Likes
Tom_VZ
Enthusiast - Level 3

bevross,

Even on long power outages your box should not lose favorites or recordings.

You could test by unplugging the box before you leave for the day and then plug it back in when your back, giving the box like 8 hours or more with no power and then see if anything is lost.

Let me know

0 Likes
bevross
Contributor - Level 1

@Tom_VZ wrote:

bevross,

Even on long power outages your box should not lose favorites or recordings.

You could test by unplugging the box before you leave for the day and then plug it back in when your back, giving the box like 8 hours or more with no power and then see if anything is lost.

Let me know

I could do this but given that I may have to re-do my favorites (which takes a while -- isn't made simple by being able, e.g., to start with only subscribed channels)  -- if my favorites do disappear could I get a new 500GB DVR to replace it !?  You may not want to answer here 'cause then everyone will claim that this happens to them!

0 Likes