Premium channels and QAM
spearko520

If i am running through QAM without a settop box, should i also be able to tune into the premium channels that i am paying for?  People have said that if the premium channel is airing for free, like during a preview special, you can tune into it (for the limited time of the special) - so i would think if that were the case, you should be able to watch it if you are paying for it.  would the channle number be the same as it is on the STB?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Premium channels and QAM
PJL
Master - Level 3

No.  When there is a free preview a channel authorization is applied to all accounts (for STBs or cablecards) rather than the channel being sent via unecrypted (clear) QAM.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

No.  When there is a free preview a channel authorization is applied to all accounts (for STBs or cablecards) rather than the channel being sent via unecrypted (clear) QAM.  

0 Likes
spearko520

All right - thanks - i guess another way for the cable company to get you to pay for something and then pay extra to actually use it.  I remember when they made it illegal to modulate the strength of signal according to how many TVs you were paying for a month ( i guess the idea was that if you are going to do that, then the customer deserves metered usage), and now somehow the cable companies have pulled the wool over our eyes again - since the STB is the same thing - a surcharge for the convenience of potentially using the content you pay for at the device of your choosing.  It's a shame, because they are missing out on an opportunity to be out in front of content specific usage- instead of trying to play catch up...  thanks again for the quick answer though!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. It is the only way they can make sure you only get what you pay for.

Encrypt all of the channels. Then use the STB to decrypt those channels you are eligible for.

spearko520

so a company chooses to protect the content they sell, and then makes the purchaser of said content pay in order to uncrypt it so they can actually access the content.  Somehow it seems like there should be a better way.  Imagine if you bought a dvd and took it home and then found that the company that produced it (in order to protect it from piracy) configured it in such a way that it could only be viewed on a player that they will rent to you for a monthly fee.  I realize every company has hurdles when it comes to security, but I am sure am glad that other services don't use the same model cable utilities do.

0 Likes
jsk22
Enthusiast - Level 3

They could design the ONT so that it would decrypt channels and pass them through in Clear QAM, but then less people would rent boxes.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jsk2 wrote:

They could design the ONT so that it would decrypt channels and pass them through in Clear QAM, but then less people would rent boxes.

Actually no.  That would require the ONT to include tuners, and decoders, i.e. by a whole house "STB",  It currently just splits out the one wave length it receives and puts it all on the coax, leaving the STB/tv's to figure out the rest.

0 Likes