Problems getting my set top box to recognize a roll your own eSATA drive
robotprom
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a 500gb SATA drive laying around, and ordered this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182179

putting it all together was uneventful, and the drive is recognized by a computer on both USB and eSATA ports.

So I follow the instructions on Enable More Storage in the DVR menu, connect the drive over eSATA, power it up, and click OK to reboot the set top box.

Once it completes the reboot, it still doesn't see the drive.

I've tried connecting the eSATA cable with the drive power on, and then connecting it with the power off and turning it on after I connected the eSATA cable, and neither works. I know the eSATA cable is good, it works on a Windows computer no problem.

If I try to connect the drive without going through the Enable More Storage menu, the activity light will flicker, and the image will freeze for a second, but it doesn't recognize the drive either.

Do I need to preformat the drive to any particular format? Is there anything else I could try to get this working?

My set top box is a Motorola 7232 2.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Problems getting my set top box to recognize a roll your own eSATA drive
prisaz
Legend
There are only a number of supported drives, and they are special video drives.

Perhaps plug it into your PC and delete the partition to see if a new one is created and formatted by the DVR.

It may not work period.
http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/tv/fiostv/other+hardware/esata/129841.htm
0 Likes
robotprom
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've both FAT32 and NTFS formats, and the STB won't recognize either. The computer picks it the drive up right away, so I know the drive and enclosure works.

0 Likes
gln2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've used an old 500GB HD I had and it works fine. Many drives will work other than what's listed on Verizon's list.  Stay away from "Green" drives, as they may power down at times which you do not want.

I kept trying to connect this drive multiple times, thinking it was not recognized because the space available did not change. It took me a while to realize that a new 2nd tab appeared for the 2nd drive!  Toggling over to the right to select this tab would then show the available space on the external HD.  My prior provider, Cablevision, did not work this way.  Their software combined both HD's into one total storage display amount.  So, check to see if you've got the 2nd tab.  If not, then it is not being recognized.  Might be worth trying another cable.

krneph

I am having problems getting the MR DVR 7232 to recognize my eSATA device. I installed the recommended 1TB WD device and went through the activation to include rebooting.  I wanted to check the capacity of the new external drive, but I cannot see the 2d tab the earlier commenter mentioned.  I scheduled a new recording and it is recording on the local hard drive instead of the eSATA device. Is there another step I must take? 

0 Likes
robotprom
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I've found the problem. The drives I've been using are 5400 rpm and the STB wouldn't recognize them. When I used a 7200rpm drive the STB recognized it with no problem. I guess the STB can poll the drive's SMART info to determine if they drive is suitable.

0 Likes