Problems with picture cutting In and Out? Even worse, the Loss of Audio? Please read.
The_Saint
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi All,

To begin, let me state what I'm running at home as a comparison for others...

Samsung LN55B640

Denon AVR-2809C1

PS3 (as my Blu-Ray player)

STB model # HD DVR QIP7216

Ok so after months of continual cutting in and out of picture and now the growing problem with the Audio skipping out or no audio at all (like on HD channel 9) I came to the realization.....  Why am I paying top dollar (nearly $200 monthly when u add in the charge for all the boxes I have,) I finally got fed up.

I called the billing dept and asked for a drastic discount as the product is not working as promised. I explained the issue (as described above) they wanted to try swapping my HD DVR MultiMedia BOX one more time to see if this would resolve my issue. Much to my discontent, I agreed and connected to the tech dept. I got once again. I was quickly connected to a Tech Unit back East, in attempt to set up appointment for swapping of HD DVR Multi Media room BOX.

Here's where the best news comes into play.. A lady (wont mention her name) from the Verizon ,Yes I said VERIZON, Tech dept. (based out of back east) asked what the issue was... When I explained what the problem was she replied.... "And let me guess, you have all your items hooked up to a Samsung TV."  I said yes.. She replied... "Can you return your TV in exchange for another brand?" I said NO. Although only 2 months old (replaced my Panasonic with the Samsung TV,)  the days allowed for returns or exchanges has expired.  

The words that followed courtesy of the Verizon Tech, were the "SHOCKER"..... "I'm really sorry sir, but the Motorola boxes we use for Fios TV are not compatible with Samsung TV... Let me repeat.. THE HD DVR MULTI MEDIA ROOM BOXES MADE BY MOTOROLA have a recognized issue with Samsung TV's and "WILL NOT WORK PERIOD."    She said Verizon is very aware of the problem, don't know how to fix it and during their general training have been advised to ask the customers if they can A.) If a Samsung, return their TV for another brand.  Because (B) their boxes do not function with Samsung..  I pointed out that the boxes are not working with several makes of TV's per the number of complaints listed on the Verizon Forum.. However she replied that the only TV's recognized by Verizon as having a compatibility issue were Samsung. 

She then connected me to the billing Dept. here in California. Explained the issue and advised the billing dept. (Which claimed they did not know any of their boxes had any issues) that there was no 100% fix at this time for me. Billing dept. will be calling me back on Tuesday or Wed. after the holiday to see how or what kind of resolution we can come to.

Unfortunately, as much as I liked everything that was offered by Fios, The picture and audio quality (WHEN IT WORKED) was awesome, but I think I may have to go back to DirecTV until Verizon can get their problems resolved.  I hope this answer's several peoples concerns and at the minimum, get's you all calling and asking for an immediate reduction in billing price for something that is not 100% operational. 

Now why Verizon will not officially recall or publicly make a statement regarding their defective Mototrola Boxes, is the big question. The only thing I can think of, is there may be some kind legal shouting match taking place between Motorola and Verizon. Here is the bigger question VERIZON.... which lawsuit will be easier to settle?? The one you may have with Motorola regarding defective boxes (and that's only a guess on my part.)  Or, what I can only think is probably headed towards a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT with the customers across the US, effected by this MAJOR BREAKDOWN.  Good luck to all and God Bless.

0 Likes
Re: Problems with picture cutting In and Out? Even worse, the Loss of Audio? Please read.
VZ_JoeD
Contributor - Level 1

This issue should not be related to any newer model Samsung TV.  There was a few issues with the HDMI handshake and certain LCD TV's that Motorola/Verizon/TV MFRS worked together on for a resolution.  The next IMG release that will be addressing these issues is going to be sent to our customers boxes this year..Tentatively scheduled for the end of this month.  With that said if you want to test and see if your TV is directly effected by this handshaking issue you can always try component cables in place of the HDMI until the release.  Components will give you HD quality just as hdmi.  The only difference is 1080p resolution which is for Blue Ray at this time not watching regular programs.

You can also try to go into your set top box and click menu, settings, video settings, format and change the format to your specified TV setting. 

Feel free to have a look at other forums regarding Samsung's HDMI issues

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755294

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7596_102-0.html?threadID=247926&start=15

http://www.highdefforum.com/cables-connections/25342-samsung-hdmi-connection-problem.html

0 Likes
Re: Problems with picture cutting In and Out? Even worse, the Loss of Audio? Please read.
The_Saint
Enthusiast - Level 1

Really, it's your guys technical problems yet you want me to tear down my expensive Home Entertainment set up, just to try and see if your latest excuse will work (which I doubt.)  Why don't you guys send a technician out to my house and let them fuss over proper picture, settings, and overall how it will be connected.

By the way, your solution on resetting STB has already been tried weeks ago, it still didn't work.. And if  converting from HDMI back to the BLUE/RED/GREEN CABLES (component ) is your guys answer to the problem, that's not and answer nor solution..

First,,,,, down grading cables is a step backwards in technology connections and overall picture quality.. If you can't get your system running/working utilizing HDMI connections, then simply put, your system is not fully operational as promised.

2nd,,, My TV set is brand new, only 2 months old, Our stop trying to push off the issues on TV sets or particular name brands, admit there is an issue and either

A) Fix the problem and reimburse the customers with some kind of monetary payback for the inconvenience

b) Reimburse the customers for the number of months effected with the Glitch, or let them out of their contract or

c) Prepare for a Class Action Lawsuit (which is already being sought.)

So if your solution/answer to this Large problem, is do to be released by the end of this month, I hope it really does work, because I'd say you have the same amount of time before legal action is filed.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

There have been posts upon posts upon posts here and everywhere else on the internet regarding the problems between samsung and motorola. All companies that use motorola have the exact same issue. Verizon has acknologed the issue and is working with samsung and motorola trying to resolve the issue. Verizon is also working with Cisco to try and get another brand of box exactly because of these issues.

Switching to the component cables (yes the red green and blue) is not a downgrade for the fios service. As far as the FIOS service is concerned there is absolutely no difference between HDMI and Component cables. The difference between them is the 1080p resolution. Currently in your setup the only thing using the p resolution is your blu-ray player. Verizon does not broadcast in p therefore it makes no difference in picture quality. The highest resolution Verizon broadcasts in is 1080i which component cables handle with no issues.

They will not reimburse you for a service that you are not paying for (you dont pay for HDMI, you pay for picture) and that works fine at advertised levels via some sort of cable. The fact that you dont want to use the cables that work for this service is not their issue. I speak from experiance, granted in another field, not tv, but the idea is the same. It says that if the company can provide the advertised service to the consumer, they have met their contractual commitments. Now yes, they should be giving you the cables and such to do so. Them coming out and hooking it up for you because you have a complicated entertainment center? I wouldnt think they would do this as its really not their fault you cant get to the tv easily but I would think that for all the issues about this issue I would think they would make some sort of accomidation. But the days of "serving the customer by doing anything you can for them" is an idea that has long past. Not just Verizon but with every company.  But back to the point, since Verizon advertises that they can provide signal to the consumer in 1080i and it can be done by connecting Samsung TV's via component cables, they met their contractual obligations. Verizon equipment is HDMI compatible, but the fact that your TV (samsung) does not use the industry standards, is not a Verizon issue. Legally that is. Morally yes, but legally, not from what I've heard on other attempts at Class action suits that have been attempted on this issue. Verizon is doing what they can and Samsung has admitted that the issue is on their end. (took years for them to admit it but they finally did) and motorola and samsung are working to implement a patch so that the samsung will talk to motorola. 

Now all that having been said. The New Samsung tv's should not be affected by the known issue. The 2009 and later models have been made to industry standards and are supposidly free from the handshake issues. (I'm looking for the release but I cant find it at the moment but will post it if I can find it. ). Briefly it said that the software issue that affected their tv's in the HDMI issue was narrowed down to the 2006-2008 model years.

If your tv has upgradable firmware capibility, supposidly Samsung has firmware that you can download and install on the tv that will solve the issue too. I dont know if this is for all their models or not but my neighbor down the street had his upgraded and problem solved. I've not seen anything in writing regarding this, just what he let me know about.

Humble
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thought I might add that everything being said about the Samsungs is true on my new Sony using a 7216 STB.   I would also add that I have none of these problems using my new "T"IVO HD on my other Sony.   The purchase of a TIVO HD is a financial loser but it is the only way, imho,  to tolerate having FIOS television service.  My wife can put up with lost connections, using component, etc. but I can't handle it.  There just isn't enough Prozac.

0 Likes
The_Saint
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey Spacedebris,

I appreciate your reply and views. My only question is.... Where did you get your info about Samsung?  I personally spoke to their trouble shooters today and none of them admitted the problem was on Samsungs End. In-fact they all said it's the first they heard of the problem being pushed on them. They are aware of the problems with Verizon Fios, the Motorola STB, and the loss of picture, but none of which they said is partly due to something they lacked to install in their TV's.

In my master bedroom I am using a 46" Samsung with the HD-7100 STB Motorola box, and other then the channel freezing once and a while (Generally resolved by hitting the channel up or down button,) this box and set up are working just fine..

Oh did I bother to mention that it was hooked up using a HDMI cable.. hhhhhmmmmm how can the TV upstairs work fine, but the Bigger TV hooked up the HD-DVR7216 box be working like crap.

Yes, I can get the picture working, possibly without flaws using the red/green/blue cable, but the purpose behind HDMI is for simplicity in connections and an overall cooler running/operating system. I have hooked up the system using the alternate connections, and yes although the feed being delivered is 1080i, the sharpness, vividness of the colors and overall picture clarity simply are not the same as when hooked up using HDMI cables. This is something my wife even pointed out and she's not TV Savie.. She just wants to be able to turn it on and watch a show without the glitches. If you go to any professional Home Theater installation company, Geek Squad or Magnolia offered by Best-Buy, they all say HDMI is the way to go. Hence the reason why they try to sell you the $100+ dollar HDMI cables when you buy a tv, not the component red-green-blue cables.

I just saw the Fios commercial again. Nowhere in the commercial does it advertise hooking up to your Samsung tv using the  red/green/blue cables. Simply that it's the best in HD and blah blah blah blah..   If there were no issues with their system and the so-call issue was on the Samsung TV's, then why when you order the service and the technicians come out to install everything, do they hook everything up using HDMI cables with no mention of the system not going to work/operate because "you have a Samsung TV."

Lastly, my family room TV is only @ 7 weeks old. The TV was manufactured in March and released for sale in April. This TV is part of the 2009 lineup released by Samsung, and the problem still exist. So if your statement on how the problem does not effect or involve the 2009 line-up of TV's by Samsung (which is what I have) and the problem still exist, then maybe it helps solidify my claim that it's not Samsung or Sony or Toshiba or any other TV's being used, but the style of box created by Motorola. With that said, I do believe the problem is actually a Motorola issue, however that's who Verizon contracted with to supply the STB in use. Therefore, the problem falls back on Verizon because they are the ones billing me for something not operating 100%.

0 Likes