Program Samsung Smart Remote to Control Fios STB
Alex4707
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried to set up Samsung Smart Remote to control Fios STB (Arris VMS 4100) using the following instructions exactly: After step 6 I get “there was an error downloading- try again later” Tried all power off/on, 3 different remotes, new batteries, several different days- no joy. Can anyone help?

1. Make sure your Smart Remote is paired with the TV. It has to be a genuine Samsung remote that, when holding the Back and Play buttons, shows on TV and pairing is successful !

2. Make sure STB is connected and fully functional

3. On Samsung TV go to Source --> Universal Remote

4. Select New Device --> Cable or Sat Box --> TV

5. When asked to select your provider DO NOT select Verizon Fios Digital (as it shows on my list. This one won't work !). Scroll down and select "My service provider is not listed"

6. Then from this new list select Verizon.

7. When prompted to change channels, insure the remote can change channels.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Program Samsung Smart Remote to Control Fios STB
TFwater
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have managed to configure the Samsung Smart Remote to control the Fios One Arris VMS4100 without any difficulties in the past following the suggestions in posts on this board.  But, recently, the Samsung remote suddenly stopped working.  I went through numerous calls to Samsung and to Verizon looking for what might have happened but nobody had an answer.  I started pointed the Samsung remote directly at the STB and it started working.  This defeated the purpose since the Fios One STB is inside a cabinet and the IR receiver on the Frame TV is below the right hand corner of the screen.  I never suspected that the STB needed to receive a "line of sight" IR signal since I always managed to keep the STB inside a cabinet and the Verizon remote was working fine with the line of sight obstructed.

I finally found on the Samsung website some information that the Samsung One Connect box that comes with the Frame TV transmits IR out the front and the sides and the STB cannot be located behind the One-Connect.  To organize neatly all of the components, I had recently put the STB behind the One Connect.  That was the problem!  Knowing this can solve a lot of frustration.  I only wish that on one of those phone calls to Samsung, they would have told me to check this.  

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Alex4707 wrote:

Tried to set up Samsung Smart Remote to control Fios STB (Arris VMS 4100) using the following instructions exactly: After step 6 I get “there was an error downloading- try again later” Tried all power off/on, 3 different remotes, new batteries, several different days- no joy. Can anyone help?

1. Make sure your Smart Remote is paired with the TV. It has to be a genuine Samsung remote that, when holding the Back and Play buttons, shows on TV and pairing is successful !

2. Make sure STB is connected and fully functional

3. On Samsung TV go to Source --> Universal Remote

4. Select New Device --> Cable or Sat Box --> TV

5. When asked to select your provider DO NOT select Verizon Fios Digital (as it shows on my list. This one won't work !). Scroll down and select "My service provider is not listed"

6. Then from this new list select Verizon.

7. When prompted to change channels, insure the remote can change channels.

Why not use the Fios remote to control the Fios box and TV instead of the Samsung remote?

Alex4707
Enthusiast - Level 2

Because Fios1 remote cannot switch to streaming services. Would be nice to have q remote that does it all no?

0 Likes
TFwater
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have managed to configure the Samsung Smart Remote to control the Fios One Arris VMS4100 without any difficulties in the past following the suggestions in posts on this board.  But, recently, the Samsung remote suddenly stopped working.  I went through numerous calls to Samsung and to Verizon looking for what might have happened but nobody had an answer.  I started pointed the Samsung remote directly at the STB and it started working.  This defeated the purpose since the Fios One STB is inside a cabinet and the IR receiver on the Frame TV is below the right hand corner of the screen.  I never suspected that the STB needed to receive a "line of sight" IR signal since I always managed to keep the STB inside a cabinet and the Verizon remote was working fine with the line of sight obstructed.

I finally found on the Samsung website some information that the Samsung One Connect box that comes with the Frame TV transmits IR out the front and the sides and the STB cannot be located behind the One-Connect.  To organize neatly all of the components, I had recently put the STB behind the One Connect.  That was the problem!  Knowing this can solve a lot of frustration.  I only wish that on one of those phone calls to Samsung, they would have told me to check this.  

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes