Programming the Remote
gregk107

I just got FIOS TV today.  I've had it for internet for 3 years and love that part.  I just don't get this user guide and I can usually program or set things up without a problem.

I want to do 2 things:

1.  Program the remote so when I hit the power button it shuts off the TV and STB at the same time.  Right now I have to hit each button separately and the power button after each.

2.  Program the remote so it controls my dvd player as well.  I have a Phillips DVD/VCR combo.  There are codes for a VCR and codes for a DVD player but nothing for a combo unit.

Any advice is appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Programming the Remote
Justin46
Legend

You did receive the little booklet for the remote, didn't you? The procedure to do #1 is in the booklet, very easy. If by chance you did not get the booklet, here is a link:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Remote%20Controls/SetUp/SetUp.htm

Re: your #1 - I am surprised your remote did not come set up the way you want it, mine did. But you may want to think twice about controlling them together, it is easy to get them out of sync, one on and the other off, and then you need to control them individually. I finally gave up trying to control them together, I just leave the STBs in the house on all of the time and only turn the TVs on and off. While this may appear to be a waste of power, several users over the last few years have measured the power usage of each type of STB using a Kill-a-Watt or something similar and found that the power consumption is almost the same, within a couple of watts, whether the STB is turned on or off.

Re: your #2 - I have a Sony combo, was never able to find the correct code. I wish you luck (there is a procedure for searching for the correct code, never tried it, just wasn't worth the time IMHO). 

I hope you enjoy FiOS TV, I most certainly do.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
ghat

A very simple solution to make sure your tv turns on and off with the stb and never get out of sync is to plug the tv into the back of the stb.  then go to settings -----> set top box ---->secondary ac outlet and choose option "off when box is powered off". 

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@ghat wrote:

A very simple solution to make sure your tv turns on and off with the stb and never get out of sync is to plug the tv into the back of the stb.  then go to settings -----> set top box ---->secondary ac outlet and choose option "off when box is powered off". 

Hope this helps!

The only problem with that solution is that when Verizon sends STB firmware updates in the middle of the night the TV may come on.  YMMV.

0 Likes