Progressively worse picture quality (tiling, drop outs)
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

Last few weeks, I've had worse and worse PQ.  I started getting awful tiling on SD channels via the DCT700's I have.  Some channels won't even work at all.  Now on the HD Arris boxes several channels have bad pixelation/stuttering.  It's getting very slowly but somewhat progressively worse.

I cannot get through the Fios online help for Picture Quality Issues.  It keeps going to DVR problems, which I don't have.  I've read that some people get this fixed with a replacement of the ONT.  Mine is an old one (I-211M-G).  I've doublechecked all the splitters and what not, everything is tight.  I doubt Verizon would do a housecall at this time, but I can't even report it to them.  Can't call them, can't chat with them, and the online automated help like I said doesn't work.  

What can I do?

0 Likes
Re: Progressively worse picture quality (tiling, drop outs)
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Online fixes will do nothing. You either have bad coax, ONT, or even the fiber loop could have an issue. You will have to stay on hold until you get through or try @VerizonSupport via Twitter or Verizon Direct at dslreports.com

0 Likes
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

I changed the coax coming from the ONT to my 6-way splitter, no luck.  Verizon Direct said they couldn't do much as there was a "National Outage."  There's clearly many random reports here and over on that forum of pixilation issues, just mine haven't gone away.  Either the ONT is failing, or I don't know what.  

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Greg2600 wrote:

I changed the coax coming from the ONT to my 6-way splitter, no luck.  Verizon Direct said they couldn't do much as there was a "National Outage."  There's clearly many random reports here and over on that forum of pixilation issues, just mine haven't gone away.  Either the ONT is failing, or I don't know what.  

Good start, is there any way you could get support to send you a splitter to replace the existing one? It's the next easiest fix you can try.

0 Likes
jerro1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its not a on the customer's end it on Verizon's.. 116,117,118,119.CSpan more & many Channels are fine. had 7 ONTs changed out everything over the years.. Its not us its them.

0 Likes
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

@clem

I coupled the line right out of the ONT to the trouble line and it's still poor.  Basically what I've surmised is that the signal either coming into the house or from the ONT has degraded enough that on an inferior device (DCT700), the effect is much worse.  However, even on the IPC1100 devices, I'm getting bad PQ and video breaking up from various rooms in the house. 

I have one 6-way splitter, one of the lines, that goes to the 2nd floor, has one 2-way splitter on it.  That's it.  I've tried 3 different splitters on the 2-way, no change.  Yesterday I replaced the coax from the ONT to the 6-way split, and moved it, no change.  I'm planning to replace more coax that dates back 20 years upstairs, but it's going to be a few weeks.  

@jerro

I agree it's on Verizon's end, but idk if that's going to be resolved.  People on DSL reports and here continue to report pixilation problems all over the systems.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Greg2600 wrote:

@clem

I coupled the line right out of the ONT to the trouble line and it's still poor.  Basically what I've surmised is that the signal either coming into the house or from the ONT has degraded enough that on an inferior device (DCT700), the effect is much worse.  However, even on the IPC1100 devices, I'm getting bad PQ and video breaking up from various rooms in the house. 

I have one 6-way splitter, one of the lines, that goes to the 2nd floor, has one 2-way splitter on it.  That's it.  I've tried 3 different splitters on the 2-way, no change.  Yesterday I replaced the coax from the ONT to the 6-way split, and moved it, no change.  I'm planning to replace more coax that dates back 20 years upstairs, but it's going to be a few weeks.  

@jerro

I agree it's on Verizon's end, but idk if that's going to be resolved.  People on DSL reports and here continue to report pixilation problems all over the systems.

Try looking in menu>settings>system information at the info page you should see SNR and quality levels for the current channel and the overall signal reaching the box. If they are not GOOD, there is an issue with either the in-home wiring or the signal getting to your house.

merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

What does it mean if the System Information shows as good?  I am also having pixelating and intermittent freezing, especially on CNN and MSNBC, both SD and HD versions of the channel, and on all television sets.  I don't have a DVR.  It started this morning and I found this thread when I came to the forum.  Maybe Verizon is just having a temporary problem with some of the channels?  if not,  does anyone know what it means if the channel shows as good when performing that menu>settings>system inquiry?  Thanks.

0 Likes
nowjustjo
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are having the exact same problem on ALL of our TV's and boxes.  Like you, we can't reach Fios in any way.  Sadly, their customer service being useless is not new.  We're wondering if the stutter and pixelation and freezing has something to do with COVID-19 (more people home using up bandwidth or whatever) but we can't even reach someone to ask.

0 Likes
merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

I posted a question via the comments on Fios' Facebook page and received a reply with a link to see if there was an outage in my area (Philadelpha, PA), which there was not.  I just posted back and will let you know what I hear from them.  Here is the link if you want to try to check if you have an outage where you are.  https://vz.to/39vZMsb