QIP 6416-2 Video SD Override setting is nonpermanent?
BrBill
Enthusiast - Level 2

My QIP 6416-2 seems to have a hard default on the SD Override menu, 480i. I can change it to off or 480p (I prefer these settings) and everything is fine until I turn off the box. Next time I turn it on, SD Override is set back to 480i.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is this something that will be fixed by 1.6.2 firmware? Or am I loony?

Please choose only one answer. Pencils up.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: QIP 6416-2 Video SD Override setting is nonpermanent?
prisaz
Legend

@BrBill wrote:

My QIP 6416-2 seems to have a hard default on the SD Override menu, 480i. I can change it to off or 480p (I prefer these settings) and everything is fine until I turn off the box. Next time I turn it on, SD Override is set back to 480i.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is this something that will be fixed by 1.6.2 firmware? Or am I loony?

Please choose only one answer. Pencils up.

I have the same DVR running at 1080i over HDMI with the SD override turned off. No issues. I tried it and didn't like it. Looney no. SD override would make me that way though.
0 Likes
BrBill
Enthusiast - Level 2

@prisaz wrote:
I have the same DVR running at 1080i over HDMI with the SD override turned off. No issues. I tried it and didn't like it. Looney no. SD override would make me that way though.

Thanks. I will see what I can do to get it working right - starting with a system reset.

@prisaz wrote:
I tried it and didn't like it. Looney no. SD override would make me that way though.

Your TV probably doesn't stretch the picture. SD override off gives me the appropriate black bars on the side and the correct aspect ratio. I don't like everyone on TV looking like a contestant from Biggest Loser.  That drives ME crazy.

Message Edited by BrBill on 03-04-2009 08:36 AM
0 Likes
mmccoy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm experiencing the same problem.. I've tried all practical solutions (hard resets, toggling the setting from the 'pre-boot' system console), none of which work.

I've tried reporting this to verizon, because its very annoying.. especially when you run through a receiver like mine that has a hard time with HDMI handshakes when changing from a digital <-> analog signal -- funky things happen.

There is no real way of filing a bug or anything, I've asked many times -- there is no channel to report things like this other than these forums.

I would -love- for an actual software engineer that works on the firmware to reply to this thread and see if we can't get it fixed.  Its easily duplicatable, and should be equally easy to fix.

VERIZON ENGINEERS, PLZ HELP! -- I've been dealing with this bug for 2 months.

-mm 

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Ever try changing it in the stb's user settings?  I know the option is in the video settings but try having the stb turned on, and press POWER...wait for the channel to disappear then quickly press SELECT then MENU.  See if changing the SD override options in there make any difference.

Sometimes it can be a little difficult to get into that menu due to the fact the standby menu might turn the tv back on, but after you press power it is literally about half a second wait until you press select then power quickly.

Give it a shot -- hopefully it helps.

0 Likes
BrBill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I will try it. And if that doesn't work, I'm calling Verizon again to escalate. They claim that I would need a new STB. Really? Why?

I second the call for a Verizon tech on these boards. Do they never read these?

I'll let y'all know if it works.

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Some do, but to be honest -- minus the Moderators on this forum -- it really isn't their responsibility to monitor these forums.  They just do it to help people with issues if they have time.  Thats why the forum is a peer to peer forum -- aka customer to customer.  States it in plenty of places over the forum and I believe even when you register.

Over at the DSL reports site they have a forum that is dedicated for Verizon techs to resolve customer issues -- plus the messages you put in for help aren't viewable by the world so it is a more private and online source for help.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

If you goto the Verizon Direct area, I believe that is the spot to post for technicians to give you a hand if you have any issues. 

Hopefully the user settings resolves your issues -- but who knows why the box isn't remembering what setting you have set for the override.  If the remote commands being sent to it doesn't work it is either a faulty box or something going wrong with the firmware. 

0 Likes
BrBill
Enthusiast - Level 2

@DzWR wrote:

Ever try changing it in the stb's user settings?  I know the option is in the video settings but try having the stb turned on, and press POWER...wait for the channel to disappear then quickly press SELECT then MENU.  See if changing the SD override options in there make any difference.

Sometimes it can be a little difficult to get into that menu due to the fact the standby menu might turn the tv back on, but after you press power it is literally about half a second wait until you press select then power quickly.

Give it a shot -- hopefully it helps.

I was able to do this, but the change refused to stay permanent. Thanks for the idea, though.

I guess I am going to have to open an issue with Verizon.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

BrBill,

I think you indicated that you have an A/V receiver in this setup, with HDMI to the receiver and then HDMI to the TV from there. This problem has been reported by many people with this kind of setup; the problem is that the A/V receiver is not sending the correct response to the HDMI synchronization request from the Verizon STB, so the STB changes its setting to match the response.

I do not have this setup, so I cannot give you any details on how to fix it. But what you need to do is set the values properly in the A/V receiver so that the STB sees a device compatible with the setting in the STB, and then the value won't be changed. I have also heard that some A/V receivers simply do not have the correct setting, or maybe any setting, so they will never work correctly.

To prove that the setting in the STB will stick, connect the HDMI cable from the STB directly to theTV and see how it works. If it does, then I think that proves that the A/V receiver is causing the problem.

I think the Verizon STB is working correctly, especially if the connection directly to the TV works. You can of course report the problem to Verizon, but I don't think you will get any satisfaction.

My suggestions are to 1) see if there is a fix to the A/V receiver available from the manufacturer 2) use the HDMI cable directly to the TV, and route the audio only to the A/V receiver, or 3) use component connections, or 4) buy an A/V receiver that conforms properly to the HDMI protocols.

Hope this helps. And I hope the fix is just a setting in the A/V receiver.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
VAFiosTech
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also like the 480p setup, I have a 6416-2 box and I have been able to maintain my 480p setting even through the latest IMG update. I have however called into verizon for tech support and one of the "reloads" they did, not only erased my favorites, but also reverted the 480p to 480i because it is the system default.

But other than that, I have had it on there for quite some time.

0 Likes