Question about the digital adapter
Penguinboy

Hi-

Fios just came to town and we have a Tivo HD so cable cards there, so that's what we'll order.  We also have an old analog TV in the bedroom with one of the government subsidized $40 converter boxes on it so we can watch OTA TV.  My question is- do I need to order the digital adapter as well, or can the FIOS coax go through the $40 converter box?  Just to watch local or basic- I know we won't get HD or premium.  Just need something to watch while we fall asleep.... 

Next question- I've read this forum and seems to be problems ordering initial service WITHOUT ordering a STB as well.  Is that still the case?

Thanks all!

-Danny 

Message Edited by Penguinboy on 02-25-2009 11:39 AM
0 Likes
Re: Question about the digital adapter
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Fios won't work with the government box, those are for OTA only. If you want to watch Fios channels, you'll need the digital adapter or another one of their boxes.
Message Edited by matcarl on 02-25-2009 02:39 PM
Penguinboy

Figured that was the case..... Thanks for the info.  Do you have to lease the box, or can you buy one outright online somewhere?  Does it have to be registered and activated by Verizon, or is it just a pass through for the signal?

-Danny 

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
You can't buy it, there is a monthly charge, just like the cable cards.