Question regarding bandwidth increase
translator2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recently upgraded our download bandwith from 25 to 50 mbps for a surcharge.

We have learned that we are limited to 20 mbps either because we use a wireless laptop connection and/or because the card in the laptop does not support this speed.

However, I was wondering if the increased bandwidth would have any positive impact on performance when two people are using the internet connection at the same type (two computers) or when we are using a wireless computer in conjunction with Fios on-demand TV?

0 Likes
Re: Question regarding bandwidth increase
translator2
Enthusiast - Level 3

*at the same time

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@translator2 wrote:

I recently upgraded our download bandwith from 25 to 50 mbps for a surcharge.

We have learned that we are limited to 20 mbps either because we use a wireless laptop connection and/or because the card in the laptop does not support this speed.

However, I was wondering if the increased bandwidth would have any positive impact on performance when two people are using the internet connection at the same type (two computers) or when we are using a wireless computer in conjunction with Fios on-demand TV?

It's true that the wireless connection that is limiting the transfer rate, not the actual connection speed you have, so two computers using the connection at the same time will take advantage of as much bandwidth they individually support, up to the link speed.  Verizon temprarily increases the bandwidth when a video on demand stream is initiated so you always get the 50 mbps you are paying for.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Wireless N Routers are as little as 20 dollars on amazon.  You could probably get better performance if you added onto the network.  Of course Verizon Offers an N upgrade at 79.99,  but I picked up a Trendnet Router sometime ago, and it's working to this day.   And at 20 bucks, I could easily and cheaply replace it if needed.    

0 Likes
translator2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the quick answers.

I also got a slight increase in speed by updating the network adapter driver.

0 Likes