Questions about tv one
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I have the "old" (QIP 7XXX) settop boxes. I've been researching cutting the cord. I've spent hours on YouTube & Google. It's confusing reading about all the hardware - Tivo, Roku, Apple TV, etc. The initial outlay for streaming hardware is expensive. And if the hardware malfunctions, where do I take it for repair or replacement? That's the advantage to renting a FIOS. If it malfunctions, just take it to the FIOS store & replace it.

I live in an apartment. I have a 55" smart tv in the living room connected to a FIOS HD DVR. In the utility room is a 23" dumb tv connected to an FIOS HD non-DVR. 

Is the tv one a streaming box like Tivo, etc. ? Can I download apps? Can I install streaming services like Sling, PS Vue, Direct TV Now, Philo, etc. ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Questions about tv one
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

Oh, OK.

Sorry about that. I reread your reply & you did mention firestick.

When I read about TV One, I was excited. I thought that FIOS was adding a streaming device.

One reads online that one can save money by cutting the cord. What you don't read is that the initial outlay for hardware is expensive.

Well, I hope that FIOS TV One becomes a streaming device like Roku, but with DVR capability.

I believe the FiOS TV One boxes are Android TV capable but Verizon hasn’t given the ability download any apps.  Maybe they will in the future. 

As far as cost goes if you have Enhanced DVR that is $20 and the cost of 2 boxes is $24 for a total of $44 a month. If you get two Firesticks at $50 each they are basically paid for in two months. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

TV One has Netflix and You Tube built in but you can’t download anything. If you are worried about cost you can get an Amazon Firestick 4K for $50. You can also download pretty much any app you want. 

As far as malfunctioning I’ve had an older Apple TV for over 5 years without any issues. I also have a Fire TV for a few without any issues. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Wait a minute!

You state:

TV One has Netflix and You Tube built in but you can’t download anything.

But then you state:

You can also download pretty much any app you want. 

HUH? Which is it?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

FIOS 1 is NOT app based, at least not yet. Fire stick, Roku, Apple TV ARE app based. You download apps for the channels you want to the stick, and go from there. For upper level TV, you log on with your Verizon credentials, for example Cinemax, or you can pay per month. As long as dumb TV has HDMI input you can watch just about anything with the less expensive sticks. For  composite, you'll need the more expensive options. Cord cutting is not all wonderful depending on your viewing needs.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

Wait a minute!

You state:

TV One has Netflix and You Tube built in but you can’t download anything.

But then you state:

You can also download pretty much any app you want. 

HUH? Which is it?

I was referring to the Firestick. You asked about the cost of streaming devices. You can get a Firestick or a Roku for under  $50 and they will be preloaded more popular apps and you can go to the app store and download others. 

TV One has Netflix and YouTube built in but there is no app store to download any other apps.

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Oh, OK.

When I read about TV One, I was excited. I thought that FIOS was adding a streaming device.

One reads online that one can save money by cutting the cord. What you don't read is that the initial outlay for hardware is expensive.

Well, I hope that FIOS TV One becomes a streaming device like Roku, but with DVR capability.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

Oh, OK.

I believe the FiOS TV One boxes are Android TV capable but Verizon hasn’t given the ability download any apps.  Maybe they will in the future. 

As far as cost goes if you have Enhanced DVR that is $20 and the cost of 2 boxes is $24 for a total of $44 a month. If you get two Firesticks at $50 each they are basically paid for in two months. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

One difference between STB and streaming device is that you don't have access to On Demand with streaming device.

And not all apps support showing real time programming.

So if you don't mind watching everything delayed, streaming is ok.
If you want to watch a show when it airs, not so much.

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Do you know if TV One has the hardware to be app-based?

I hope so. I hope that FIOS will make the TV One app-based plus DVR.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

They are Android TV capable so yes the hardware is there. It is possible that Verizon will make it available to download additional apps with future updates. There is no timeline on this so it might be easier just to purchase a Firestick or something similar.