Re: "Essentials" v. "Extreme HD" in WA State (or other wise)
mjkxr
I'm running into the same thing.  I had my install in Seattle last week with the FiOS TV Essentials package and I'm finding channels dropping off over the last few days.  When I placed the order the rep mentioned 14 HD channels which was far fewer than what the site brought up.  When I pointed this out, she deferred to the site and said that it should be the definitive source.  I'll be on the phone today to sort this out.  While i was very pleased out of the gate, things are going downhill fast. 
0 Likes
wills
Enthusiast - Level 2
It appears that Verizon is in the process of eliminating all HD from their Premier/Essentials packages - hence the change in name.  I just had the Essentials package installed in Buffalo and both the web site and the hard copy of the channel lineup given to me at installation showed the typical 40 - 50 HD channels. (I was not interested in the sports stations included in the Extreme package). Those 40 - 50 HD channels were viewable for the first day.  Today they were turned off.  After spending over an hour on the phone with a Verizon supervisor, she admitted that the published channel listings are "incorrect" and the Extreme package is required to get ANY HD channels.  In view of their error, I was given a credit of $10 per month for 1 year in order to get HD.  The bottom line is that the Extreme package is now "essential" for getting HD and I suspect that everyone with the Premier package can expect a large price increase if you expect to continue to get HD.
0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
I don't think that's true. It you go their website and type in your zipe code, you'll see both packages, and the Premier package has lots of HD's.
Message Edited by matcarl on 09-24-2008 03:43 PM
0 Likes
wills
Enthusiast - Level 2
I think you missed my point.  I ordered FIOS thinking I was getting what was advertised on their website for my zipcode.  It turned out that the website is wrong.  HD is now ONLY included in the Extreme package for an extra $10 per month.
0 Likes
mjkxr
I had a very similar experience.  Regardless of what the Verizon site lists as part of the Essentials package, the billing agent stated that Verizon is in the process of a "Programming realignment" and that you will need Extreme HD to get anything beyond locals in HD.  This certainly doesn't explain everything and isn't really a satisfactory answer, but they finally offered the same $10 credit for 12 months.  Verizon needs to get their story straight and correct the web content and marketing campaigns or they'll be inundated with similar calls from disappointed customers.   
0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

mjkxr, where are you located?

I've heard a lot of people say they weren't provisioned properly for the HD channels and the rep turned them on for them. I don't believe they will charge $10 more a month for all the HD's, just the newer ones. Someone is misinforming you.

0 Likes
mjkxr
I'm in Bothell, WA, just north of Seattle where they only rolled out service a few weeks ago.  The thing is, I had all of the HD channels for the first week, then they all just disappeared.  Both the billing agent and the supervisor I ultimately spoke to said that this is because they are shifting them to the Extreme HD package and I should not have had them to begin with.  With the Essentials package, I'm told you will only receive locals.  If there is more to the story, I'd love to hear it, because I'm not particularly happy with the prospect of my rates steadily increasing or choices steadily decreasing.
0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

Since you are in a new service area, I'm not certain. I know they would not remove all the HD's from all the subscribers they have now, there would be utter chaos. I still find it hard to believe for you too. I'd call again. Call tech support and tell them you had all the HD's and now suddenly they are gone and ask them if your account inadvertantly had the HD's turned off. Let us know what they say. Thanks.

0 Likes
mjkxr
I started with Tech Support and they did a thorough test of both boxes and determined that there were no issues from their perspective before shuffling me off to billing.  I'm very curious to see if others are having a similar experience in this area. 
0 Likes
jebinc
Enthusiast - Level 3
I'm in Everett, and originally signed up for the Extreme package.  It was installed on 9/14.  To date, knock on wood, I haven't lost any HD channels...
0 Likes