"Search for Show" capability
ryder85
Enthusiast - Level 3

I live in the 23320 zip code area (Norfolk VA area) and a Verizon technician came by on Aug. 24 to install the new VMS1100 DVR and Quantum FiOS service per my new 2-year renewal agreement with Verizon. Subsequently, on Aug. 30 or 31, an update was apparently made to the system.  The update seems to have reduced the capabilities of the "Search for Show" function from what it was prior to this update. ("Search for Show" is in the "Create New Recording" section).

For instance, the biggiest college football game coming up this coming Labor Day weekend is No. 1 Ohio State at Virginina Tech, primetime ESPN on Labor Day night.  When I try "Search for Show" by entering "College Football", or entering "Ohio State" or entering "Virginia Tech" the game does not show up in the results of any of these three searches, nor in any of the other searches that I attempted.  The previous week, prior to the Aug.30-31 update, I was able to schedule recording of this game by doing a search for "College Football" where the game was listed.  Additionally, all of the upcoming college football games to be broadcast for the next 10 to 11 days were listed chronologically.  However, subsequent to the Aug. 30-31 udate, I no longer get this result. 

I talked with Verizon Technical Help (800-837-4966) on Aug. 31, but the agent did not seem to understand what I was trying to explain.  However, she did note that an update had been made to (my) system the previous night.  I requested that a technician be scheduled to come by so that I could show the technician how the "Search for Show" function was performing (from my experience these installers/technicians know every function of the FiOS TV operation backward and forwards and that maybe they could help).  However, she would not approve this.

When will an update be made to the noted Aug. 30-31 system update in order to re-establish the previously thorough search and presentation capabilities of the "Search for Show" function? 

Thanks.

Re: "Search for Show" capability
Joeg679
Contributor - Level 1

I'm having the same problem.  I used to be able to search for a term like Halloween and get 50 results (more towards October as more shows and movies were about Halloween), but now I get 10 results and they're all On Demand movies. 

There are times when I want to watch something that I know is on, but I don't know the channel, so I'll search for the word and find it.  The new search function is horrible and it'll cause me to miss a lot of things. 

That being said, a technician wouldn't be able to help you and you have to get the right CS person on the phone to understand what you want and get you to the right outlet. 

Sadly, this is something that I don't think enbough people will care about, in order to complain to verizon and make a change.  I'm going to try, though, becuse this is a real pain in the neck.  Let me know if you make any headway.

0 Likes
ryder85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same for you, let me know.

joeg_679
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Fios today about this issue and got a great CS person on the line.  He contacted the video department and they had him contact someone else through live chat.  He was able to duplicate the problem I'm having and said that the 2nd department told him that it's a known issue and should be fixed with the next update.  He said that updates typically get pushed out at the end of the month.  We'll see.  

swollengoat
Enthusiast - Level 2

The search lost the ability to look for keywords quite some time ago. I called when it first went away and it was clear they had no interest in bringing it back. I downloaded the TV Guide app to my phone and use that for keyword searches. 

Hope that helps. Stinks that Verizon's DVR services are so lousy.

0 Likes
ryder85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks!

-Yes, I was hoping that was the case, but, as you did, they have to be alerted to this problem.

-There was a similar problem in October 2014.  After a Verizon update last October the "Search for Show" function was  performing as inadequately as it is now.  I posted a complaint here on Oct. 26, 2014.  Verizon eventually corrected it with a subsequent update.

-I'm sure there are bugs with the Oct. 30, 2015, update to work out, but at least Verizon is aware of this one now and I have confidence that it will be corrected.

0 Likes
ryder85
Enthusiast - Level 3

-I meant "August 30, 2015 update", not October 30, 2015.

0 Likes
joeg_679
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hope they fix it with the next update. 

0 Likes
joeg_679
Enthusiast - Level 2

Great call on the TV Guide app.  This is a great workaround and is doing what I want, but this is how my FIOS dearch worked before the "upgrade."  I hope they can fix this, but I won't hold my breath.  Thanks!

0 Likes
amyleigh1
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is the same issue I'm on here for today.  Thanks for describing the issue so well so I don't have to try!  🙂 I have found it impossible to search for specific college football games and have had to look the channel up on the internet and then search on the guide that way.  Frustrating, especially since it worked so well before.  These "updates" can be so infuriating.  I'm glad to hear that a fix may be coming soon.  

0 Likes