Recordable DVR machines
tropicaljam
Enthusiast - Level 2

As recently as a month ago, I was able to burn shows that were recorded on my DVR to blank recordable DVR disc.  As of a few weeks ago, whenever I try to record a show on my Panasonic DVR Recorder (with hard drive), I am now getting a message saying that the shows on my FIOS DVR are not recordable. I'm guessing that the signals from my set top boxes are now scrambled so my Panasonic Recorder can no longer record them. Is anyone else having this problem? This is a real problem for me. There are many programs (sports, documentaries) that I have burned onto a DVD disc and stored in my library so I can watch at my leisure. I would really hate to lose this ability.

Thoughts anyone

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Recordable DVR machines
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It was a change during the last software update.

Not sure if it was done by choice of Verizon or if the content providers required them to do it.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure if it was done by choice of Verizon or if the content providers required them to do it.

tropicaljam
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauth wrote:

I figured it must have been part of an upgrade. I wonder if an upgrade can be reversed. Not sure if this was the content provider's request. Even local broadcast like news, sports and weather are now blocked from copying. I am sooooo disappointed by this move by Verizon.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Upgrades can not be reversed.

What I don't know is if other providers allow this type of recordings.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I got some info that says this is an unexpected issue. Should be fixed in the near future (hopefully by the end of the summer).

tropicaljam
Enthusiast - Level 2

God, I sure hope Verizon fix this issue soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks CRobGauth for your input.

0 Likes
RABobbo

I also ran into the same exact problem, which is very annoying since I have a number of programs on my DVR that I would like to archive to DVD; hoping that this is indeed an error which occured during the last Fios upgrade and will be fixed by summers' end...

0 Likes
tropicaljam
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, it is not looking  like things will get back to "normal.' I had a lengthy talk with someone in tech support and was told that they are aware of the proplem. Apparently, lots of customers have been calling tech support regarding their inability to record stuff on their recordable DVR machine. The problem is recently, (June, July etc) some providers, NBC, ESPN FoxSports to name a few have been "coding" their broadcast signal to make it unrecordable on machines like our DVR's. According to Verizon, there is nothing that they can do with the signals to make them recordable on other media.

A recent update was sent out by Verizon about three weeks ago, and it made a difference on some of my recorded programs. But there are still some programs (Wimbledon final) that I can't transfer to a blank DVD. I suspect this may be the way things are going so one will be forced to PURCHASE shows (like the superbowl) from the broadcasters.

This really sucks.

0 Likes
ryder85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I am the same.  There are some sports documentaries (ie, Arnold Palmer, ACC basketball history, etc.) that I like to record onto my Panasonic DVD recorder for my own viewing pleasure at other times- even years from now.  Additionally, these programs are often seldom, if ever, replayed by the networks and are not sold on DVD's. Also, why does Verizon then allow us to record and re-view these "copyrighted" programs on their DVR's?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What version software do you have.

I am one of the areas that has upgraded to 4.28. That upgraded corrected the issue.

0 Likes