Remote control burning
stevelogan1028
Enthusiast - Level 2

I picked up our Fios remote off of the table and the back of it was searing hot.  Enough that I dropped it out of shock.  I managed to use a coin to quickly get the battery cover open and one of the two batteries was extremely hot - as in too hot to even pick up once I got it pried out.  Even 3 or 4 minutes later that one battery is still too hot to touch!  These are the original Verizon supplied Philips AA batteries.  The remote control stinks of burning electronics, though it still does work (with different batteries).

Needless to say we're now VERY concerned about a potential fire hazard.  We'll pull the batteries out at night, but I think VZ should give us a new remote in case it wasn't just the batteries (or battery in this case).

Anyone else had this happen??

0 Likes
Re: Remote control burning
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

that can happen if there is a short, try some other batteries, if that does the same thing throw that bad boy in the trash, call verizon or go to the contact us section and get a new remote pronto.

0 Likes
Re: Remote control burning
Justin46
Legend

@stevelogan1028 wrote:

I picked up our Fios remote off of the table and the back of it was searing hot.  Enough that I dropped it out of shock.  I managed to use a coin to quickly get the battery cover open and one of the two batteries was extremely hot - as in too hot to even pick up once I got it pried out.  Even 3 or 4 minutes later that one battery is still too hot to touch!  These are the original Verizon supplied Philips AA batteries.  The remote control stinks of burning electronics, though it still does work (with different batteries).

Needless to say we're now VERY concerned about a potential fire hazard.  We'll pull the batteries out at night, but I think VZ should give us a new remote in case it wasn't just the batteries (or battery in this case).

Anyone else had this happen??

Nope, my 4 year old remotes and my 1 year old remotes all work just fine, of course the original batteries are long gone.

I am sure that if you call the FSC and report the problem they will be happy to send you a new remote for free.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes