Remote DVR no longer working after upgrade to Gigabit service
Killmas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi All-

I can't seem to find any answer to what is going on, but after the upgrade to Gigabit service, my remote DVR functionality doesn't work. As an ancillary, the Gigabit service itself has been working great!

Note, i only have 1 set top box, so originally the IP address that the STB was getting was via the coax connection, and was the typical 192.168.1.101. After the upgrade, the set top box now only receives data connection via ethernet, and received an IP address of 192.168.1.102.

Is there something i have to add in the quantum gateway router to forward ports for the remote DVR service to the .102 address? Shouldn't they be coming in automatically from Verizon?

Everything else about the set top box is working (Guide, VOD, etc), and the network diagnostics seem to work just fine and detect everything correctly.

Thanks for any help!!

0 Likes
Re: Remote DVR no longer working after upgrade to Gigabit service
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe quantum router is designed to serve VMS via coax. So just hook it up too same coax net that VMS connects to for TV service. And disconnect VMS from ethernet

0 Likes
Killmas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried that, but VMS will no longer receive an IP address from the quantum router. Rebooting the VMS with ethernet disconnected, the VMS sits at the unable to establish a network connection and keeps retrying.

The entire thing is behaving like once I got Gigabit service, all forms of Coax data (except video) no longer pass through the system (which is why I'm wondering if i'm just missing a port forward on the quantum router).

I guess I can't complain too much, since the Gigabit service is working at max speed, but it would be nice to get back remote DVR through the FIOS app.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like something got disconnected on coax side.

Make sure that coax connection to router is connected to splitter that is connected to "video" coax. It may have been removed.

VMS should be able to get IP from router via coax.

Unless you have a lot of customizations (which can be a pain to put back) have you tried factory reseting router?

Hook everything up as you want (remove ethernet from VMS and connect coax to rotuer) then do reset.

May also need to do a cold reboot of VMS.

0 Likes
Killmas
Enthusiast - Level 2

More developments to anyone who might have similar issues. (note for those following along, I only have 1 STB, and its the VMS, so I use the acronym interchangably here)

I spent the afternoon on friday with Verizon's chat team, which in the end had me do a cold reboot of the STB. During that process, they had to deactivate and reactive the STB remotely, which then allowed me to see the STB via the verizon web portal (note, this is still with the ethernet cable in use). That also de-authorized my phone, so we re-authorized the phone back to the VMS while on WiFi, and then in home streaming worked again (never had a problem with that before, just after the deactivate/activate process)

Unfortunately, the cold reboot didnt solve being able to stream when out of network. The chat folks told me to put in a ticket via the mobile app (still need to do that) in order to get that solved.

Today (Saturday), another Verizon rep (sounds like similar helpdesk out of Ohio) called me asking how things went. I replied that we were still unable to stream off the STB when out of network. When in network (via WiFi) everything works fine. So then begins him trying to fix things.

And this is where things took a turn for the negative. Got put on hold for a while (short time, not the issue), then got asked the obvious of "is the device connected to a Verizon router, is it turned on, etc.", all of which the answer is yes (otherwise in network streaming wouldn't work). Then the guy remoted into the router, and asked if I had a Cisco router as primary (of which I have no Cisco equipment in my network). Then he noticed that I have the WiFi on the router turned off (I don't use Verizon's router for WiFi service, I have several Ubiquiti APs for WiFi for whole home coverage), of which i told him thats correct. And this is where things fall apart. He then says to turn on the WiFi and connect the STB to the WiFi network. Besides the fact that I have no idea to connect the VMS to WiFi (99% certain it doesn't have the hardware to support this), I mention the fact that there are only 2 possible ways to connect the VMS to the network, either Coax or Ethernet. I also mention that I don't have a problem with in-network streaming, and that the network diagnostics show that the STB is connected to the network. He then is adamant that I need to connect the STB to WiFi (but first I have to turn the Verizon Wifi back on). At this point, I ask to speak to someone more technically apt, since the path he is taking down the debug list the CSRs are provided is clearly wrong, and I am subsequently hung up on.

So even though I'm in a slightly better state (at least able see the DVR from Verizon's webpage, which was my primary gripe), I'm still not able to stream while out of the in home network.

I am tempted to get wireshark out and attempt to find what port isnt being forwarded correctly, since I have a hunch thats where the issue remains.

P.S. @CRobGauth, Coax has remained physically connected during this entire process (since the Gigabit service upgrade was all done via the Verizon webportal). I did think maybe my splitter port died coming to the router, so I swapped to the interface that the STB was connected to, but that had no affect (so i don't believe this to be a Coax HW problem). Only thing I can think of is that during the Gigabit service upgrade, all Moca connections were disabled on the router (outside of what I can control) and ONT, so now all data service runs ethernet and only video raw data is on the Coax.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What error are you getting in app when you try and stream out of the home?

Have you tried putting in a trouble using the app support?

It goes to a different team to troubleshoot those issues.

I had an issue like this before (unfortunately over a year ago) and app support helped me get it corrected.

0 Likes