Remote hardly works at all
jamieva
Contributor - Level 1

had my HD DVR box for about 3 or 4 months now.  Now suddenly the last 4 days the remote will just quit working.  It will work fine and then when I press it to do something, nothing happens.  No lights light up on it or anything.  Yes it has new batteries in it that is not the problem.  Last night I got it to fix itself by resetting the box, but this morning, same problem after about 2 minutes of watching something on TV, the remote is totally unresponsive.

Help!!!

0 Likes
Re: Remote hardly works at all
mabbatiello

i have a few questions as i am experiencing similar issues...

1. what kind of tv are you using  & is it new?
  2. can you control the volume on the television, but not the box?
  3. do you have another box in the house that you can swap locations with?
0 Likes
thchen29

I just got Fios put in and had the same issue with the Home Media DVR, I would push the button on the remote but the box would not register it.  The little green light would not flash, I would have to push several times for it to register, fresh batteries, etc...

After doing some research I found that it is IR interference.  I can't explain it, and I don't even want to begin to try to figure out why it works, but if you put a piece of paper in front of the remote sensor on the box, it will work fine.  I have the Motorola DVR, and if you look at the front of it, on the glass area where the channel number shows up, to the left of it, you will see a small round black sensor on the inside, I took a piece of paper, and just used a black sharpie to color it.  I than taped the piece of paper so it blocks just that one little section.  After doing that, I have had no issues with the remote.  Every key stroke of the remote is registered with no delays and no issues.

Give it a try, and let me know if it works for you.

Message Edited by thchen29 on 02-18-2009 12:12 PM
0 Likes
bjrichard
Enthusiast - Level 1
I have the same problem with the remote on an HD box.  I tried your solution but it didn't work for me.  I took a piece of white paper and painted it black with a marker then taped it over the sensor, which is on the right side of the numbers on this box. The remote acted the same.  The remote works fine in controling the TV but not the box. I contacted tech support and I'm getting a replacement box.
0 Likes