Re: Sept 2020 Fios DVR and Guide Update
BRG99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I have been a Verizon customer for 30+ years, and this week, I purchased a TiVo system even before my contract expires this July. That is how fed up I am with Verizon’s lack of concern for us paying customers.

Earlier this week, I chatted with Verizon Customer Service. They seemed to be unconcerned about these big FIOS software problems, even after I sent them the link to this forum’s 116 page conversation. Instead, they wanted to troubleshoot my setup.

They asked me to reset my boxes, which I had already done.  Then, they wanted me to make sure that the coax cable’s pins were straight. They have chosen to ignore these 116 forum pages and, instead, prefer to go with their standard troubleshooting replies.

Ironic that each time they replied, I realized that they were not going to help me.

After I had explained that all of these problems occurred after the APR-7.8 update, they stopped chatting with me. That told me what they really think of me/us. Bottom line, Verizon makes so much profit from us, they do not have to care.

dukesmom1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The worse part is THEY USED TO CARE. I, too, am a long-time customer. One of the things I liked best about verizon was that all of their reps spoke English and they were extremely nice and helpful. I encountered attitude for the first time last week or the week before when I called about the guide. I guess it's a reflection of how the whole country is getting. Nobody cares about anybody but themselves.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@waymarie wrote:

The worse part is THEY USED TO CARE. I, too, am a long-time customer. One of the things I liked best about verizon was that all of their reps spoke English and they were extremely nice and helpful. I encountered attitude for the first time last week or the week before when I called about the guide. I guess it's a reflection of how the whole country is getting. Nobody cares about anybody but themselves.

I am NOT a Fios employee or compensated in any way, but I have to say there are people that DO care, and ARE working on another update to address more of the 7.8 issues. Tech support has their hands tied and I'm sure are as frustrated as customers when they can't help. NOBODY can change the guide functionality except the development team, and they are working on improvements. There are also Federal compliance issues.

dukesmom1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello. I appreciate your comments and I do concur. I think I'm watching too much news. lol  Thanks for your thoughts.

0 Likes
jhickey007
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just logged in and was amazed to see the "PROBLEM SOLVED" CHECK BOX AT THE TOP OF THIS TOPIC. It is not. My guide is just as slow and messed up as it was after the update. 4 seconds to go into pause. all the same page up/down problems. DVR, well I'm too **bleep** of to get into it again.

I urge who ever reads these at verizon to provide an update to the update removing the latency of the remote buttons in the guide and in DVR. Get rid of all the channel thumbnails. Pleeeeeze!

BRG99
Enthusiast - Level 2

With all due respect to those who posted after me, I am sure that there are people at Verizon who care.  Unfortunately, it has been approximately 5 MONTHS since the most recent updates began, along with their accompanying problems.  This forum conversation  began in September, 2020, and it is now 117 pages in length.  Sadly, I cannot recall any recent replies from Verizon, except “Problem Solved, ” which is untrue.

One of the posters has indicated that the development team is working on another update to fix the problems.  This same poster also states that the same development team is restricted by federal compliance issues.  Would this be the same federal government that no longer cares about the people?  Good luck with that!

If the poster has inside information, please feel free to share with rest of us.  Are other DVR providers having the same federal issues?  Why does Verizon not respond to the pleas of their customers in these postings?  Why did tech support disconnect my chat with them when I asked about the 7.8 DVR update problems?  That kind of disrespect is “customer disservice.”

Please raise your hand if you believe, that after these 5 months, you still believe that a fix is coming soon (you will also make the “tooth fairy very happy!)

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@BRG99 wrote:

With all due respect to those who posted after me, I am sure that there are people at Verizon who care.  Unfortunately, it has been approximately 5 MONTHS since the most recent updates began, along with their accompanying problems.  This forum conversation  began in September, 2020, and it is now 117 pages in length.  Sadly, I cannot recall any recent replies from Verizon, except “Problem Solved, ” which is untrue.

One of the posters has indicated that the development team is working on another update to fix the problems.  This same poster also states that the same development team is restricted by federal compliance issues.  Would this be the same federal government that no longer cares about the people?  Good luck with that!

If the poster has inside information, please feel free to share with rest of us.  Are other DVR providers having the same federal issues?  Why does Verizon not respond to the pleas of their customers in these postings?  Why did tech support disconnect my chat with them when I asked about the 7.8 DVR update problems?  That kind of disrespect is “customer disservice.”

Please raise your hand if you believe, that after these 5 months, you still believe that a fix is coming soon (you will also make the “tooth fairy very happy!)

Any "inside" information is not able to be shared, I can only say that the situation is still under development. The SOLVED post was one of the only ways to get attention for people to see the latest sharable news on the issue, not as a final solution. I can tell you first hand AT&T also does not use color coding schemes, and is even worse than Verizon's guide. Very little info is provided on their guide and you can just about forget any customer service. I have a mini box from them that looses its connection EVERY night at 2AM, nothing can be done to stop it. So I believe state of the art right now in cable TV is sorely lacking. Personally i believe the core issue here with Verizon's guide is the addition of fancy new graphics which overload the older boxes with data. The Fios one boxes have more RAM and faster processors that can handle the graphics better. The catch 22 here is if Verizon didn't try updating the guide to more graphics, people would complain that the guide was outdated and looked like something from the 70's. So here you are with a not so great situation that will take a while to fix because as we all know, nobody makes perfect software! For another view on the issue check this thread:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32945885-APR-7-8-STB-Software-Update-12-9-20

jhickey007
Enthusiast - Level 2

clem53 said "Personally i believe the core issue here with Verizon's guide is the addition of fancy new graphics which overload the older boxes with data. The Fios one boxes have more RAM and faster processors that can handle the graphics better. The catch 22 here is if Verizon didn't try updating the guide to more graphics, people would complain that the guide was outdated and looked like something from the 70's."

I agree the graphics are overloading the STB and of course the new Fios One works better. It is forced obsolescence that will make the customer pay more for the new box. That's not cricket.

Be nice if, while in development, they checked backward compatibility! I have 3 STB's. I didn't have an issue with the "old" guide and my remote worked in real time!

Taking it back to the 70's makes me think of Pong. but I think that was a nice exaggeration 🤣. Look if Verizon wants to swap out my STB's at no cost, great!

But I don't see that happening. Couldn't they have just made some settings to reduce

memory usage for those of us yearning for the "old" guide's speed?

Maybe it's the way I watch TV. I bounce between 2 programs, pausing them at the break, going to "LAST", unpausing then jumping forward 1 min at a press and jump back 10sec at a time to watch that program just after the break. Rinse and repeat. I hate breaks. Anything delaying my channel change to avoid Medicare spots by Tom Selleck, as the new guide does, is not good. And I'm 66!

bristollucy
Contributor - Level 1

This person did not complain about the "old" Guide. In fact, this person was perfectly happy with it. It performed exactly as it should with just enough information and little interference on the screen. Will I upgrade to the newer box? No don't think so unless it is free and doesn't increase my monthly bill. Actually, since my box doesn't function as well as the newer box, maybe it should cost less? I won't go back to Comcast because sharing my service with the rest of my hub wasn't very satisfactory. But, I may resort to cutting cable and just using Fire Stick for Netflix & Prime.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@bristollucy wrote:

This person did not complain about the "old" Guide. In fact, this person was perfectly happy with it. It performed exactly as it should with just enough information and little interference on the screen. Will I upgrade to the newer box? No don't think so unless it is free and doesn't increase my monthly bill. Actually, since my box doesn't function as well as the newer box, maybe it should cost less? I won't go back to Comcast because sharing my service with the rest of my hub wasn't very satisfactory. But, I may resort to cutting cable and just using Fire Stick for Netflix & Prime.

I know when I upgraded I got them to waive the $50 upgrade fee, just took a LOT of persuasion. I did already have a G1100 router though. The monthly rental stayed the same.