Re: Seriously LACKLUSTER DVR functionality
Rebalol
Contributor - Level 1

You can only pad a recording that has not started.  Once it's started recording, you are forced to have a follow up recording to catch the possible overrun.   My workaround is to schedule more time than I think will be necessary and then stop it  if the program ends like it was supposed to.  I know with sports that can be difficult becasue you don't want to see the end before the beginning ... I use it for award shows and have the same problem.

0 Likes
Rebalol
Contributor - Level 1

If you read through this board, you will find many many many complaints about FIOS DVR and the guide! I switched from DTV, too, and come to find out, was spoiled by current technology. The only workaround is you have to buy a different dvr (TIVO, MOXI) and then you can get a cable card from FIOS.  You save on what you pay FIOS but you have to pay more to TIVO to purchase it.

Also, with the TIVO, you lose multi room viewing, VOD on that box, widgets, etc but with all the extra features (that you are used to!) and much more recording space and a much improved guide, it would be worth it if you have the $$$.  I resent the fact that I have to spend more $$ out of my pocket to overcome FIOS shortcomings!!!

0 Likes
cubalz2

I'd like to address some responses.

Some of you may have CALLER ID in your area.  I do NOT even thought Verizon (mainly a PHONE company)  has been promising it quarter after quarter.

The only way to PAD a recording is to request the SERIES to record and in the series recording options, select end xx minutes late.  This cannot be done for a ONE TIME recording unless you are doing a MANUAL recording which is a much more tedious process.

Thankfully, my commitment ends in May which is about the same time my need for NHL Center Ice will be ending.  On that day, I will be calling DirecTV and begging them to take me back.  This bundle has been NO BARGAIN and is costing me MUCH more than I was paying before with all the equipment rental fees, etc.

0 Likes
Rebalol
Contributor - Level 1

@cubalz wrote:

I'd like to address some responses.

The only way to PAD a recording is to request the SERIES to record and in the series recording options, select end xx minutes late.  This cannot be done for a ONE TIME recording unless you are doing a MANUAL recording which is a much more tedious process.

Thankfully, my commitment ends in May which is about the same time my need for NHL Center Ice will be ending.  On that day, I will be calling DirecTV and begging them to take me back.  This bundle has been NO BARGAIN and is costing me MUCH more than I was paying before with all the equipment rental fees, etc.

Actually, you can PAD any recording that hasn't started, whether series or manual select.  The key is it can't have started recording...once it does you are out of luck. 

I still get offers from direct about switching and saying they will pay my cancellation fees (I cancelled it last July).  I'm about ready to take them up on their offer.  Give them a call and see if they will do the same for you.

0 Likes
cubalz2

the problem with an early cancellation is that I am currently subscribed to NHL Center Ice (at around $140 for the season) and another provider has never been willing to GIVE me 4 months free since my subscription would not travel with me from Verizon FIOS to DTV or other.

How exactly do I pad (from the remote/tv - not PC using "DVR remote") a recording that has not started yet.  since I am  most likely stuck here watching hockey games (and missing the exciting last minutes of quite a few!), I'd love to know the easy way to do this WITHOUT having to do a manual recording.

Thanks and good luck with your switch if you go that route.  Personally, I don't think Verizon was ready to be a TV carrier.  I've heard mostly good things about phone and Internet access but horrible comments about TV viewing problems.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@cubalz wrote:

How exactly do I pad (from the remote/tv - not PC using "DVR remote") a recording that has not started yet.  since I am  most likely stuck here watching hockey games (and missing the exciting last minutes of quite a few!), I'd love to know the easy way to do this WITHOUT having to do a manual recording.

DVR ==> View Schedule ==> find program you are interested in ==> OK ==> scroll down to Modify Start and End Time ==> make changes ==> Save

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let's summarize:

1. Get upcoming showtimes of currently playing shows from the guide - you can do this now, use the Info button
  2. Add time to a one-time recording - you can do this after the fact, but not while setting up the recording (hardly a deal killer to me)
  3. Saved searches - yes, this would be nice for actors, directors, etc.
  4. Guide listings - Verizon is working to improve these. Hopefully they'll choose a different guide data provider.
  5. Caller ID on TV - this should be available to all FiOS subscribers by the end of next month
  6. Pause one buffer and swap to the other - meh, I'm not interested. PIP would be better.

If the few things that you can't do now or won't be able to do soon mean that much to you then, by all means, switch providers. But at least with FiOS you have DVR choices - you can always buy a Tivo, Moxi or Media Center PC and use a cablecard. If you don't like the DIRECTV DVR (and I don't), what choices do you have?

If I was going to go back to satellite based on a DVR, I would go back to Dish Network - they have MUCH better DVRs than DIRECTV.

FiOS is reportedly going to announce a new DVR next month or so. I think that their current one is fine for what it is. My only major gripe is storage space (internal or external). It would also be nice to have a true 16x9 IMG and PIP. I've been patient with the FiOS DVR and will be for a while longer. If I was the impatient type I would buy a Moxi and a 6TB external drive (if it had PIP I would have done this a while ago).

The most important things to me: FiOS has more true national HD channels than any other provider (not including PPV and RSNs) and they are the only provider not to add additonal compression to their HD signals. The most HD in the best quality - it's simple really.

0 Likes
Rebalol
Contributor - Level 1

@Reaper wrote:

Let's summarize:

1. Get upcoming showtimes of currently playing shows from the guide - you can do this now, use the Info button
  2. Add time to a one-time recording - you can do this after the fact, but not while setting up the recording (hardly a deal killer to me)
  3. Saved searches - yes, this would be nice for actors, directors, etc.
  4. Guide listings - Verizon is working to improve these. Hopefully they'll choose a different guide data provider.
  5. Caller ID on TV - this should be available to all FiOS subscribers by the end of next month
  6. Pause one buffer and swap to the other - meh, I'm not interested. PIP would be better.

If the few things that you can't do now or won't be able to do soon mean that much to you then, by all means, switch providers. But at least with FiOS you have DVR choices - you can always buy a Tivo, Moxi or Media Center PC and use a cablecard. If you don't like the DIRECTV DVR (and I don't), what choices do you have?

If I was going to go back to satellite based on a DVR, I would go back to Dish Network - they have MUCH better DVRs than DIRECTV.

FiOS is reportedly going to announce a new DVR next month or so. I think that their current one is fine for what it is. My only major gripe is storage space (internal or external). It would also be nice to have a true 16x9 IMG and PIP. I've been patient with the FiOS DVR and will be for a while longer. If I was the impatient type I would buy a Moxi and a 6TB external drive (if it had PIP I would have done this a while ago).

The most important things to me: FiOS has more true national HD channels than any other provider (not including PPV and RSNs) and they are the only provider not to add additonal compression to their HD signals. The most HD in the best quality - it's simple really.

You say FIOS is reportedly going to announce...well, that means absolutely nothing until they actually announce it...and do you reall ythink the current subscribers will be given the option to switch those out.  I'm sure they'll require a truck roll, yeah, they are gonna change out all their customers for no charge.  I don't see it happening!

I shouldn't have to spend more $$ to get better functionaltiy! 

You mention hopefully they will change guide providers. Again, no guarantees and no time frame.  It would be nice if they would share information with their customers! 

And as for the HD quality, a lot of good it does with the limited space on the DVR. I only record in SD becasue of the limited space and only watch HD live, which is a rare event!

0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Rebalol wrote:

You say FIOS is reportedly going to announce...well, that means absolutely nothing until they actually announce it...and do you reall ythink the current subscribers will be given the option to switch those out.  I'm sure they'll require a truck roll, yeah, they are gonna change out all their customers for no charge.  I don't see it happening!

I shouldn't have to spend more $$ to get better functionaltiy! 

You mention hopefully they will change guide providers. Again, no guarantees and no time frame.  It would be nice if they would share information with their customers! 

And as for the HD quality, a lot of good it does with the limited space on the DVR. I only record in SD becasue of the limited space and only watch HD live, which is a rare event!

I wouldn't expect Verizon or any other corporation to share their plans with their customers until they are firmed up. At least in this day and age, the online boards are available to those of us that want to get the scoop (and rumored scoop) early.

No, I don't expect Verizon to replace all their exisitng DVRs - that would be cost prohibitive. But I expect them to replace them for customers that ask. Will there be a fee? Probably. It took money to develop the new DVR, and I wouldn't expect them to absorb the cost. There may even be a monthly "premium DVR" fee. Would I pay it? Yes, as long as it's reasonable.

Why shouldn't you be willing to spend more for something better? You sound like a spoiled child. Buy a Tivo, buy a Moxi, go back to DIRECTV, or be patient. Those are your choices. It's no skin of my nose either way.

0 Likes