Set box problems
hey_moe1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a few problems with one of the set boxes. The first is when I try and change a channel when I press the button to change the channel the light lights up on the set box but the channel doesn't change so I know it is getting the signal from the remote. This also does this when trying to bring up the guide too. Sometimes it will also change the channels non stop, even when I pull the batteries out of the remote the channels keep changing until I unplug the set box. I have left the set box off and unplugged for over an hour and it still does the same thing. I have also reset the router, moved the set box from upstairs to down stairs with no glory. Any suggestions.

0 Likes
Re: Set box problems
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're certain there are no other remotes or IR sources active near the problem STB, then it has to be the STB.  Since you moved it to another room and disabled the remote, it sure sounds like it is the STB.

You should contact Verizon.  You can find contact methods using the "contact us" link at the bottom of these web pages.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
FrustratedUser22
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can also try finding the app called something like:  Fix Common STB/DVR Issues.  It should be under the Customer Support or Help Section or Support Tools when you press the Menu button on the remote.  If you cannot navigate the menus due to your issue, then I would suggest a couple of other things.  The DVR needs a good working hard drive and if for some reason it has become corrupted or the DVR has become confused by changes Verizon made behind the scenes with the cable channels this may fix it.

Do you have a second Verizon remote you could try?  Or a universal remote you could program for your DVR/STB?

Have you used brand new batteries?  Weak batteries can behave like this as well as with the Verizon DVRs. 

If you tried all this and what the previous poster suggested, then as a last step you could try unplugging the box.  Both the AC cord and the coax cable for a minute.  I don't recommend unplugging a DVR as it could cause damage or corruption to the hard drive, but you are already out of choices  if you tried everything else and you  will most likely need a replacement.

0 Likes
hey_moe1
Enthusiast - Level 3

.Thanks for the reply. After leaving it unplugged for a day. Replacing the batteries. Moving the box from upstairs to down stairs, I went ahead and exchanged the box at Verizon.I  beta test for Microsoft in the Flight Simulator program, also build high end pooter. I am a HVAC tech by trade so I am a tad bit familiar with low voltage and high voltage programs. Also with IR and RF. But I still screw up and miss things in my old age...lol. I wanted to make sure I wasn't having a senior moment while checking out this box. Thanks for the response. Looks like after exchanging the box all is well. Thanks for your support. Mike

0 Likes