Set Top Box shutting off
Jack236
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since 7/13, our set top box shuts off once a day. I need to press "menu" on my remote and the STB turns back on and the program returns. I called Verizon support on 7/25 and learned that my STB was most likely outdated and Verizon shipped me  a HDQ7100 STB. I switched  STB's on Sat 7/20 and the problem seemed to be resolved. Once again, starting on 7/23, the STB shuts off once every day at various times during the day. Never in the evening. Has anyone else experienced this?  I am tired of contacting Verizon support and having my STB rebooted remotely several times by Verizon with a promise that the problem has been resolved only to have it happen again, even with a replaced STB.  Thank you for your assistance.

0 Likes
Re: Set Top Box shutting off
Nan2527
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just a thought -- but I recently came back from vacation and found my STB off.  I never turn it offf because I have scheduled recordings for my DVR at all hours.  I found that there is a Set Top Box, Setting, Timer which was at 4-hours.  I changed it to NEVER.  This may be something new pushed out to STBs as I never had a problem with my STB remaining on all the time before.  Try Menu/Settings/Set Top Box/ Timer.  Good luck.

Jack236
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello and thank you for your reply. I followed your instructions for checking the STB timer and found it set for 4 hours. I changed the setting to "never" and hopefully, this will resolve the issue. Thanks again!! 

0 Likes
capasitor
Enthusiast - Level 2

same here

0 Likes
Jack236
Enthusiast - Level 1

After thinking about what Nan2527 wrote, I think what he/she suggested as a fix is dead on. I experienced this issue after returning from vacation also. I recall when I turned on my TV, I received an on screen message from Verizon that my STB was being updated. Even since, we experienced the problem. This is just a thought...... If you change channels frequently, you most likely will not have a shut off.  Each time my STB shut off, the channel had not been changed for 4 or more hours. Just as Nan2527 wrote, changing the STB timer setting to "never" is most likely the fix for this issue. The Verizon STB "update" I received may have added this timer shut off. Thanks.

0 Likes
capasitor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes the 'Sleep Timer' was indeed set to 4 hours. However I did not set this feature. After an update this began to happen. So I figure that verizon enabled this to either save STB life or for some other reason. All my STB's are set the same way and since the ones in the other rooms are not used as often as my main box I will be leaving them the way they are. After changing the setting to 'neve'r the box has stayed on. After thinking about this I reset it to 6 hours as I very rarely sit in front of the tv that long and it would be 'green' to let it shut down late at night.

0 Likes
Crow7
Enthusiast - Level 1

where do i find this timer?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Crow7 wrote:

where do i find this timer?

Menu

Settings

Set Top Box

Sleep Timer

mrbill1573

Resetting the time to "never" seems to have resolved the problem with out set top boxes shutting off. So, thank you! Meanwhile, an annoying preview screen appeared with the latest FIOS update. I got rid of it. There are on-screen instructions explaining how to do that. 

0 Likes
CAG6
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have a multi room DVR and 3 STBs.  I checked the DVR and it has the Timer setting.  It was set at 4 hours, I changed it to Never.  I checked the settings on the STB and it doesn't have a Timer setting.  We have 3 Motorola STBs.

0 Likes