Set top box wireless or not, HDMI necessary ?
Wickedbun
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello

i have a new service setup for Fios tv one and was told it can be wired or wireless. Moving into a new apt it seems like the coax plug is on the opposite wall of the tv, and the previous renter maybe only streamed. While i was told the box doesn’t have to be in the same location as the box and can wirelessly connect to the TV, what about the hdmi ? 
i am coming from cable where you need to plug the hdmi from the box to the tv in order to view hd. Has anyone found differences running the coax directly vs the box wireless for tv quality or viewing? I was also told if i have a smart tv i might not need to use the hdmi cable. I am not sure if it’s possible to have another coax plug added to the wall where the tv is, but am trying to decide if i should still do self install. Any info / experience is much appreciated 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Set top box wireless or not, HDMI necessary ?
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Wickedbun wrote:

Thanks for your reply. When i spoke to the first CS rep she assured me not to worry because the box didn’t have to be in the same location and could be connected wirelessly. But i was confused as to why that mattered if the hdmi still needed to be connected between the tv and box. 

The mini can get its signal wirelessly or through a wire as Dexman said. You have to get the signal from the box to the TV somehow, and that's where HDMI comes in. There are HDMI transmitters, but they are expensive, and broadcast over WiFi so your TV would have to be able to allow apps to be downloaded and installed that the transmitters use.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The connection between the main STB (also known as the VMS) and the ONT needs to be via coaxial cable. A connection between a remote STB (also known as a mini) and the VMS can be coaxial, ethernet or Wi-Fi. I think that the connection between any STB and a television needs to be hardwired (either HDMI or using old fashioned RCA terminated cables (but if a wireless connection is possible someone will post a correction). 🙂

Wickedbun
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your reply. When i spoke to the first CS rep she assured me not to worry because the box didn’t have to be in the same location and could be connected wirelessly. But i was confused as to why that mattered if the hdmi still needed to be connected between the tv and box. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Wickedbun wrote:

The mini can get its signal wirelessly or through a wire as Dexman said. You have to get the signal from the box to the TV somehow, and that's where HDMI comes in. There are HDMI transmitters, but they are expensive, and broadcast over WiFi so your TV would have to be able to allow apps to be downloaded and installed that the transmitters use.

Coop11
Enthusiast - Level 2

we have a wireless setup from TV to TV One STB

we use Amazon FireStick on ea TV (FireStick is pretty good about figuring out WiFi setup, i dont know about AppleTV)

the FireStick connects direct to you TV over an HDMI cable stub built into it. It needs power from a wall plug. It talks to TV One over the wifi - which (despite what Verizon said) MUST be the verizon wifi off the Verizon Router (we have GB service). Although the firestick must talk to the Verizon SSID so it can find the TV One (or VMS) if your TV is a smart tv, it can be on any wifi SSID with internet connectivity,  should you want to use an alternate for any reason.

hope this helps.

for the record, we are not yet fully satisfied with the FiOS TV App over wifi due to some recurring glitches, but it does work. We don't know if the problems we see stem from a poor implementation by Verizon or local wifi issues. still debugging it.