Signal Loss after a 300ft RG6Q Cable Run
ThaGreatED3

I have a long run of a 300ft RG6 Quad cable from one point to another.  No other way of going about it.  Due to this long run, some of the high frequency channels such as ESPN and TBS are not working.  Using a Motorola Amp allows the channels to work obviously but before of incompatible Return Path frequencies causes the VOD and Guide not to function.

Can Verizon increase the signal strength for my service and/or are there FiOS compatible amps that Verizon can supply to me?  I know that not all tech support understands these type of runs and the use of amplifiers for FiOS.

I'm also going to be trying to use a Coax Combiner in conjunction with the Amplifier to see if that sends the return signal back.  Not sure if a passive return or active return amplifier matters?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ed

0 Likes
Re: Signal Loss after a 300ft RG6Q Cable Run
PJL
Master - Level 3

You need a birectional amp that supports MoCA.  There's another thread on this:  see here.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this a home run from the ONT? Or are their other splitters in the run?

If it is not a home run, any chance to reconfigure to reduce the splitters?

Or are there unused ports on the splitter that could be terminated?

If no to all of these, then you will need the amplifier.

Normal RG6 has about a 20dB loss at 300ft at the high frequency range.

0 Likes
ThaGreatED3

I have a 2-way 1Ghz 12db tap next to ONT. The tap part goes 25 ft to a 2-way splitter with one going right there to 1st STB and the other going 25 ft to 2nd STB. 

The out of the 1Ghz 12db tap goes 50 ft to a 9db tap with the tap part going to the router right there and the out part going upstairs 300 ft. 

There is 2Ghz splitter that splits to a 3rd STB and then 50 ft to a closet that has another 2Ghz splitter that splits 25 ft to 4th STB and the other end 50 ft to the 5th STB.

The closet is where I tried to put the amp because the last two STBs are the ones that don't get a few channels and I also tried to put a second router in the closet to work as a coax adapter. I also tried amp plus combiner splitter but the splitter was radio shack only one rated 5-900Mhz so I'm so that might be it. I will try to get a 1Ghz combiner splitter. Or wait for FiOS to install a MoCa amp.

Thanks,

Ed

0 Likes
jarockster

Ed did you get this resolved? I have a 300 ft RG6 run and am experiencing the same exact problem. I tried an AMP and like many other folks lost the guide and VOD. Did you end up getting a MOCA amp from Verizon or else ? Thx

0 Likes
ThaGreatED3

Jarockster,

Unfortunately the Verizon MoCA bi-directional didn't work. Worked the same as a regular amp so no guide. I took out as many splitters as possible and replaced some with taps instead which enhanced the signals for longer runs by limiting the shorter taps. 

I get guide and ondemand working everywhere but some higher frequency channels don't work but livable, lol. 

Hope that helps. 

0 Likes
jarockster

Ughh not the answer I wanted to hear but will have to try my luck. Just ordered one ot the PDI MoCA amps to see if that helps as well as a few terminator caps for the unused terminals on my splitter. I'll keep you posted. Thx.

0 Likes
ThaGreatED3

Good luck! Let me know your progress 

0 Likes