Slingbox ending, but Fios TV One DVR doesn't provide his and hers folders...
splee777

Here's my scenario, I have legacy multi room DVRs, two CHS 435s. One is my wife's and the other is mine, on different TVs. Either can play recordings from either DVR, so we can essentially watch any recording on any TV, but still manage our recordings separately. We like it this way. In addition, my wife's DVR has a slingbox attached and she also watches her recordings via an ipad at times. The trouble is, slingbox is terminating the service this November and the CHS 435 doesn't support remote viewing.

The only option Verizon is offering for remote DVR viewing is the new TV One, but I would have to completely switch from my current DVRs to the new ones. I cannot keep one CHS435 and have one TV One at the same time. I went to the store and played with the TV One and as far as I can see, all recording schedules and stored recordings are common, i.e. there is only one set. There doesn't seem to be any option to organize the recording schedules or recordings according to profile or folders.  So all my wife's schedules and recordings  will be mixed in with mine. That doesn't work for us. 

Is there a way around this? Or can someone suggest a decent alternative to the slingbox. I just need a remote viewing box that can control and view a DVR from an app.

0 Likes
Re: Slingbox ending, but Fios TV One DVR doesn't provide his and hers folders...
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@splee777 wrote:

Here's my scenario, I have legacy multi room DVRs, two CHS 435s. One is my wife's and the other is mine, on different TVs. Either can play recordings from either DVR, so we can essentially watch any recording on any TV, but still manage our recordings separately. We like it this way. In addition, my wife's DVR has a slingbox attached and she also watches her recordings via an ipad at times. The trouble is, slingbox is terminating the service this November and the CHS 435 doesn't support remote viewing.

The only option Verizon is offering for remote DVR viewing is the new TV One, but I would have to completely switch from my current DVRs to the new ones. I cannot keep one CHS435 and have one TV One at the same time. I went to the store and played with the TV One and as far as I can see, all recording schedules and stored recordings are common, i.e. there is only one set. There doesn't seem to be any option to organize the recording schedules or recordings according to profile or folders.  So all my wife's schedules and recordings  will be mixed in with mine. That doesn't work for us. 

Is there a way around this? Or can someone suggest a decent alternative to the slingbox. I just need a remote viewing box that can control and view a DVR from an app.

I don't know about the ability to create folders, but you can watch on a wireless device if you get the Premium or Enhanced DVR setup. You would use the Fios TV app on the device to access the saved recordings.

Re: Slingbox ending, but Fios TV One DVR doesn't provide his and hers folders...
splee777

Yes, understood, that is why I was even considering the new boxes. However, the inability to have separate recording and viewing profiles  presents a problem for me. If they allowed me to have two separate TV One server boxes instead of a server and a mini, that would work for me, but I don't think they support that...

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@splee777 wrote:

Yes, understood, that is why I was even considering the new boxes. However, the inability to have separate recording and viewing profiles  presents a problem for me. If they allowed me to have two separate TV One server boxes instead of a server and a mini, that would work for me, but I don't think they support that...

I know you CAN have more than one VMS box in a system, just not sure if you can order just VMS boxes or if you have to take some IPC boxes too.

splee777

Are both VMS boxes independent or are they still in some kind of server/client relationship?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@splee777 wrote:

Are both VMS boxes independent or are they still in some kind of server/client relationship?

The VMS boxes are independent, the IPC boxes are the client Boxes.