Some TV re-runs on USA and other channels are jittering like crazy
tgm10241
Enthusiast - Level 2

FIOS DVR model # CHS 435HDC

There are some older HD TV shows that I've found (House, Will & Grace, a couple others) sometimes on the USA network, sometimes elsewhere, that jitter around an awful lot.

It's hard to describe.  It's not telecine judder (from interlacing pulldown), nor is it related to the motion control on my TV (I've experimented with all settings, including having them all turned off with no interpolation nor pulse).

The commercials in between segments do not exhibit this behavior.  When I record the segment and play back frame by frame I can see the jumping.  <----I have to clarify this: I think there have been times when the jumping is not as severe going frame by frame but I'm not sure.

Because the FIOS box tries to do the SD->HD conversion itself (to then send to the TV as 1080i60), is it possible that there's a bug someplace with certain encodings?  Were these shows originally SD and upscaled incorrectly?

I'm also seeing a peculiar bug where there will be a weird skip and then the lip sync will be off by about a half second.  If I hit pause and play, then it returns to normal behavior.  Perhaps the unit I've got is dying?

Have you seen this before?

0 Likes