Sony Bravia no HD signal
gemini1977
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Sony Bravia 4K UHD smart television that I've connected to my FIOS set top box using a high speed HDMI cable.  When viewing HD channels I do not see an HD picture.  When I have the TV show me the signal it is displaying, it tells me it is SD 480.  I've done all the restarting, resetting, on/off procedures for both the tv and the set top box.  The hdmi cable is brand new and I've tried all the HDMI connections.  I am able to see an HD and UHD picture when viewing Netflix or Amazon video.  Additionally, when testing on my old LG HD TV I do get an HD 1080 picture.  I'm testing on a secondary bedroom set top box model "ARRIS IPC1100P2".

Might this be a problem with the TV set itself or is there some incompatibility between this tv set and the cable box?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sony Bravia no HD signal
silverado4x4
Contributor - Level 2

Do you have your cable box set to HD 1080i ? Settings-Audio&Video-Video Settings-Video Format change to 1080i then tv type change to 16.9 then go to Graphic Setting change to HD then go to Video Sharpness change to 5 Sharper.

View solution in original post

silverado4x4
Contributor - Level 2

Do you have your cable box set to HD 1080i ? Settings-Audio&Video-Video Settings-Video Format change to 1080i then tv type change to 16.9 then go to Graphic Setting change to HD then go to Video Sharpness change to 5 Sharper.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If using the same box and cable to connect each TV, then my first thought would be an issue with TV.

Do you have either another box to try or another HDMI device you could try connecting to tv to see if it works?

0 Likes
gemini1977
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks Nickel!

All of my settings matched what you described except for the Video Format setting.  I had it set to 1080p.  When switched to 1080i the picture looked just right.

Out of curiousity, what is the difference between 1080p and 1080i that allows me to get an HD picture on an HD TV but not on a UHD TV?

Thanks again.

0 Likes