Sony TV had software update, now my DVR makes a noise when i fast forward
jdp41
Enthusiast - Level 2

Purchased a new Sony TV in November, everything has worked great between the tv and the set top box. Then this week I had a software update for my tv. Since that time, when I watch a show on my DVR and I fast forward, then hit play, it get a quick high pitch noise from my tv. This hasnt happened prior. Sony support tried fixes but said it could be the set top box. Has anyone had this experience and if so, what was doneto rectify?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sony TV had software update, now my DVR makes a noise when i fast forward
jdp41
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found the resolution! It was from years ago on this forum! Basically as the Sony rep told me, i needed to change the Audio Output to L-PCM. That option is not available for some reason on the standard menu. There is a “secret” menu that you acces by pressing the power button on the set top box for 1 second then pressing the Ok button on the remote for 1 second. This will bring up a white screen with a menu. Go to User Settings and you can update the Audio Output to L-PCM. That solved it for me. Hope it helps anyone else out there! Not sure why this is not in the standard menu.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@jdp4 wrote:

Purchased a new Sony TV in November, everything has worked great between the tv and the set top box. Then this week I had a software update for my tv. Since that time, when I watch a show on my DVR and I fast forward, then hit play, it get a quick high pitch noise from my tv. This hasnt happened prior. Sony support tried fixes but said it could be the set top box. Has anyone had this experience and if so, what was doneto rectify?

Never had it with Fios tv ( i did have it years ago with Time Warner cable) what I did was ride up the street and kept replacing the set top box w/dvr function.

It did work after that. I am thinking it is noise from the electronics being picked up on your tv. Switch out and see if that fixes the problem.

0 Likes
jdp41
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found the resolution! It was from years ago on this forum! Basically as the Sony rep told me, i needed to change the Audio Output to L-PCM. That option is not available for some reason on the standard menu. There is a “secret” menu that you acces by pressing the power button on the set top box for 1 second then pressing the Ok button on the remote for 1 second. This will bring up a white screen with a menu. Go to User Settings and you can update the Audio Output to L-PCM. That solved it for me. Hope it helps anyone else out there! Not sure why this is not in the standard menu.

TandT2

Thank you for this!!! Same thing was happening to us, for over a month. Your solution was IT! That noise was driving us crazy. 

0 Likes