Splitting COAX to move TV from one room to another...FIOS cable/internet
Lucky7771
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a HD TV above my fire place and want to move it to another room..Unfortunately the other room does not have a coax cable wall plate.  The room I want to move the hd TV to is adjacent to my garage where the original coax (in the garage) comes into the house...this cable is visible and easy to access.  This (original) cable is fished into my basement and the runs thru my basement and outside to the box "Telephone Network Interface"  I don't see any fios coax wires coming back into the house.  However, there is another coax wire coming from another white box that also feeds into the "Telephone Network Interface"...this has no coax wire coming out beside the coax that is going to the "Telephone Network Interface."  My house previously had comcast before I purchased it and only has 3 coax wall plates in all of the rooms.  My questions are the following:

1) if I split the original fios feed 1 wire to 2 wires from the house (before it goes to the "Telephone Network Interface" box will I get a signal to my other 2 TV's in the house? will I get internet still? and ultimately will I have all channels I pay for on all TV's with a fios receiver (box)

2) if I don't split the original fios feed - where do I split the coax feed?  I could split the coax feed from the line that is coming from where my HD TV is above my fireplace...but that would require a lot of fishing wire and be much more time consuming.  If I can't split the original fios coax feed ...where do I split the coax feed to allow my 3 TV's to work with all channels (with receiver) and continue to use my fios internet....

Please be as detailed as possible...thanks for your help and happy new year!

0 Likes
Re: Splitting COAX to move TV from one room to another...FIOS cable/internet
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Lucky777 wrote:

1) if I split the original fios feed 1 wire to 2 wires from the house (before it goes to the "Telephone Network Interface" box) will I get a signal to my other 2 TV's in the house? will I get internet still? and ultimately will I have all channels I pay for on all TV's with a fios receiver (box)

One of those two "Telephone Network Interfaces" is your Optical Network Terminal (ONT).  The other is your old copper Telephone Network Interface (NID).  I doubt that you have a coax line running between the ONT and the NID.  Your installer should have run cat5 between the ONT and the NID in order to connect into your existing phone wiring.  

By "before it goes to the Telephone Network Interface box, do you mean the coax coming from the ONT?  There is no coax "before the ONT or NID".  The only thing going into the ONT is the fiber drop from the street.  If you open each box, you should see coax and phone wiring in the ONT and only phone wiring in the NID.

The existing coax in your house may be run one of two ways. 

1)  Each coax run is "home run" back to a common location where it connects to a single spllitter which connects to the coax coming into the house from the ONT.  Your router is also connected to the coax at some point.  Since you did not mention a splitter in the garage, this does not seem to be the case, although the splitter could be located elsewhere such as the basement.

ONT===coax===1xn splitter+===run1

+===run2

+ ...

+===run-n

2)  You have a single coax line that is "daisy-chained" from room to room.  Each room has either a barrel connector passing the signal to the next room, or has a 1x2 splitter, with one tap going to the jack and the other going to the next room.  If you remove the wall plates and see coax coming into the box and passing back out, then this is the style you have. 

ONT===coax===1x2spliter+===Jack1

+===1x2splitter+===Jack2

+====1x2splitter===(etc)

With #1, the coax from the ONT and to each of the three rooms, and to the router should be connected to the main splitter.  If there is an available tap, you can simply connect the new run to that available tap.  If the taps are full, you would need to get a splitter with more taps.

With #2, you can tap into the coax any place that is accessible and add a 1x2 splitter.  One leg goes to existing run, one leg goes to the new run.  The problem with this approach is that each time your split the coax, you introduce more loss and the signal is degraded.  Once you get past about 3 splits, the signal gets iffy depending on cable lengths. 

You can also run a new piece of coax to the ONT, remove the existing coax connection in the ONT and then connect the new piece to the ONT into a 1x2 splitter.  Coming out of the splitter, you would have the existing run and the new run to the new location.  THis is a variation of #2 and has the same consideration of splitting the signal too many times.

ONT===new coax===1x2splitter+===existing run

+===new run

Be sure that any splitters you add are rated 1Ghz.

Re: Splitting COAX to move TV from one room to another...FIOS cable/internet
Lucky7771
Enthusiast - Level 1

Previous reply:  Your right the fiber optic wire is connect to the Telephone Network Interface which is outside my sliding glass door of my basement and the coax that runs from the Telephone Network Interfaces thru my basement and out to my garage and then connects to the original coax cables that were installed before I moved into my home.  So hopefully that being said...I should be able to split 1 to 2 the coax cable in my garage that is visible and then fish it thru the wall in the room where I am putting my tv now...if that works it will save me alot of time fishing wires thru the wall and will actually give me a permanent coax wall plate in my "new family room".  Does this sound correct?  1) If i split the coax cable 1 to 2 from the coax cable that directly feeds from the Telephone Network Interfaces (prior to any splits if there are any splits in my house at all - totally unknown to me)...would that affect "noise/distortion" to all the coax lines in the house or would it only affect "noise/distortion" the longer down the coax cable line (aka distance from the Telephone Network Interfaces)?

"One of those two "Telephone Network Interfaces" is your Optical Network Terminal (ONT).  The other is your old copper Telephone Network Interface (NID).  I doubt that you have a coax line running between the ONT and the NID.  Your installer should have run cat5 between the ONT and the NID in order to connect into your existing phone wiring."  This is correct what you said...thanks. 

"By "before it goes to the Telephone Network Interface box, do you mean the coax coming from the ONT?  There is no coax "before the ONT or NID".  The only thing going into the ONT is the fiber drop from the street.  If you open each box, you should see coax and phone wiring in the ONT and only phone wiring in the NID." Your right here as well...I forgot that fios when installed the cable wiring was installed via a conduit around to the back of my house and that is where the fiber optic wire most meet the "telephone network interface" as that conduit is right next to the telephone network interface outside my basement.  So that means that I should be able to split the coax cable in my garage.

Thanks and kudos for the details in previous post.

0 Likes