Re: standby mode message whenI turn off TV - NOT A SILLY MESSAGE AT ALL!!!
cakjvk
Thanks, that did it.  manual only said to hit power and then menu.
0 Likes
Re: standby mode message when I turn off TV
rfg

That standby mode message may not be so harmless.

Had 2 Verizon techs here all day yesterday and on the phone since Tuesday.

On my 42" LCD I can and they did also, see the message in the picture like a watermark or ghost image. Also the picture has an image of the the menu screen in the same way. Picture quality has become degraded.

They changed everything, STB, control unit all cabals and it's still there. It is most noticeable when you pull up the menu. It's in the areas where the logo message displays when the STB is off, a total of six places.

The TV manufacturer claims it is what is called "persistence". It should go away on LCD, if the cause is removed and the screen powered down for a few days to several weeks. Not so with a plasma, they will be permanently burned in.

This morning they said they were going to get their engineers to look at several possibilities.

I've now been able to duplicate the problem on another LCD set using a completely different set up.

All this started with the recent update.

0 Likes
cvarner

That message prevents my HDMI switch w/automatic input detection from properly switch away from the FIOS input...

0 Likes
sharonsns

Ever since this new version, my remote will no longer control the volume! And I HATE that this standby stays on all the time. I just want my screen to go to black.

Anyone know why the volume buttons on the remotes no longer work? I have two in two different rooms and neither controls volume any longer. Why have a remote?

Not happy.

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

The remotes are probably in the wrong rooms.  This happened to a friend of mine and he still doesn't know how they got switched.

The volume is programmed on the remote to your tv, not the cable box.  So when you use the volume buttons on the remote it does nothing with the cable box at all, it tells your tv to turn down the volume.  There isn't an update in the world that Verizon could send out that would remove the programming code in the remote for your actual tvs.

If you want your screen to go black, simply turn off your tv.  It is there to help people so they don't waste electricity and/or burn out their tvs by having them on 24/7.  Problem solved.

0 Likes
sharonsns

Thanks. Don't know if the remotes were in the wrong room, but I figured it out. Had to reprogram each one so that the remote controlled the volume. A little searching thru the onscreen help files gave me the solution.

I guess I'm just spoiled from having one click of the remote turn off the STB and tv rather than having to turn off the tv power itself. Oh well, I'll adjust, especially now that the remote is back in control. 

Smiley Happy 

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Lol yeah -- to be honest my wife and I simply just turn off our tv...don't think I have turned off the stb myself in over a year.

You could also program your remote so when you press STB then power it will turn off your tv AND your stb.

Program remote to power TV & STB at the same time
1) Press and hold the STB key. 2) While holding down the STB key, press OK. 3) Release both keys. The device keys will blink twice. 4) Press 9-7-7. The STB key will blink twice. 5) One after the other, press each device key you want the Power key to control in the order you want them to turn on or off. Selected device key will blink twice after each pressed. 6) Press OK when done. The STB key will blink 3 times to indicate success in programming.

PLEASE note, sometimes this might get annoying because if the TV doesn't get the on/off command you might end up in a situation where your tv and box are out of sync -- aka one is off and the other is on.  The message that is provided now helps with that issue -- but it could cause confusion with some people.

Example, you are done watching tv and you turn it off -- the box goes off but the tv is still on.  So you try to turn off the tv, and now the box is on.  Then you would have press a few different buttons (like the TV button, THEN power) to get them in sync again.

Anywho, was kind of rambling there sorry lol.

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

@rfg wrote:

That standby mode message may not be so harmless.

Had 2 Verizon techs here all day yesterday and on the phone since Tuesday.

On my 42" LCD I can and they did also, see the message in the picture like a watermark or ghost image. Also the picture has an image of the the menu screen in the same way. Picture quality has become degraded.

They changed everything, STB, control unit all cabals and it's still there. It is most noticeable when you pull up the menu. It's in the areas where the logo message displays when the STB is off, a total of six places.

The TV manufacturer claims it is what is called "persistence". It should go away on LCD, if the cause is removed and the screen powered down for a few days to several weeks. Not so with a plasma, they will be permanently burned in.

This morning they said they were going to get their engineers to look at several possibilities.

I've now been able to duplicate the problem on another LCD set using a completely different set up.

All this started with the recent update.

I don't know if things have changed but I can't see how that can happen.  When I got 1.6.2 I looked at the message and it is just like a computer screen saver.  The standby message disappears and reappears randomly on different areas of my tv.  Don't see how this would cause a burned affect on any tv.  It might have been different when you got the update, I'm not sure.  But my screen is black with a simple sentence (white text) running across it that just randomly appears all over the place.
0 Likes
rfg

The message I have is 2 lines. Ones has Verizon witha Red check mark and a red Z. Then a line that has Press Menu....................

It actually is not displayed randomly, but in six repeated locations. Test it for yourself, just put your finger on the screen under say the V in Verizon, after six cycles it will return to the same place.

The background is a generated black that is not as solid as it may appear.

It is not only possible, it is happening and the two techs confirmed to their supervisors that they could see it.

By the way, the STB is sending the signal to the screen all the time. You just can't or aren't suppose to see it accept when the STB is turned off.

On LCD sets it causes a long lasting persistence, on plasma and CRT's it will cause a burn.

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Thats interesting -- oh well I turn my TV off when I'm done watching it so I don't have to worry about it but I suppose if someone doesn't it might be problematic then.

The signal going to my tv 24/7 isn't a big deal to me -- I always leave my stb on anyway.

Still...isn't good that anything might ruin a tv.

0 Likes