Re: standby mode message when I turn off TV
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

that's sounds like a burn in, you guys may want to read the manual that came with the tv, if you accidentally leave an image on the screen for too long it will burn into your screen, you need to follow the instructions to remove the burned image and then you need to make sure there is no picture on your tv when you are not watching it.  If not you want to contact tech support because it should not be possible to get both images on the screen.

My TV is a plasma and burn in happens very easily they make a wash screen to help with it, also you can purchase a tape that will help clear it.

0 Likes
Re: standby mode message when I turn off TV
steveo2

"In my case, the TV was not turned on.  My TV has an instant on feature that speeds startup time.  When I power off my TV, it goes into standby mode and the pixels are still being rendered even though the backlight is not illuminated.  So, when the box and TV are turned off, the Verizon screensaver is continually being pumped to my TV."

This helped me solve my problem, although it's not ideal... I changed my TV settings (it's an LCD that had image persistence) so that it powers off completely.  I didn't realize that the fast-on feature is still working the pixels just with the backlight off.  (Neither did our Geek Squad guy but he's another story.)

After a couple days of the TV being off compeltely at night, and during the day on some other picture besides an almost static VZ logo, the problem went away.

Look, I can appreciate the fact that this message helps people get de-confused about the on/off states of their TV/STB.  As as a result of my having done tech support in the past I can certainly appreciate that call volume to tech support is decreased as a result.  But come on guys, if you must have the logo constantly sent to the TV, don't put the logo in the same six positions on the screen.  I know you must have thought about the potential for burn-in, and that's why it's being moved at all and not just sitting in one spot, but it needs to move more than this.  Use a smaller logo that moves all around the screen, not in a handful of spots.  Aim for pixels being off most of the time.

People's plasma screens and even LCD screens are at risk here -- especially in the case of plasma sets, which can be permanently ruined.

0 Likes
Re: standby mode message whenI turn off TV
stevebr

Thanks for the info on 1.7 Justin.  I will surely try the option once I get 1.7.  I am in Maryland and my boxes are still at 1.6.X.  I will also be interested to see if they improved the screensaver (doesn't bounce to the same locations on the screen).

0 Likes
Re: standby mode message whenI turn off TV
Justin46
Legend

@stevebr wrote:

Thanks for the info on 1.7 Justin.  I will surely try the option once I get 1.7.  I am in Maryland and my boxes are still at 1.6.X.  I will also be interested to see if they improved the screensaver (doesn't bounce to the same locations on the screen).

Before I disabled display of the message I powered off the DVR and it appeared to me that the message was still rotating to the same locations, although I have to admit I wasn't really watching it closely to absolutely verify that.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes