Static sound with FIOS TV but not with DVD Player or Playstation
Maxwell

The last couple of weeks when my son turns on his TV the sound is all static. Sometimes the static starts to fade away and then the sound is fine. When he plays a DVD or VHS or Playstation the sound is perfect. The TV is only 2 or 3 years old. The picture is fine. Any idea what could be causing this?

0 Likes
Re: Static sound with FIOS TV but not with DVD Player or Playstation
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Maxwell, I'm sorry your getting static when you watch FiOS tv.  Try treseating the coax cables at stb, tv and wall conn or splitter. If that doesn't help, send me the account name and state in a personal message so we can troubleshoot further.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Maxwell wrote:

The last couple of weeks when my son turns on his TV the sound is all static. Sometimes the static starts to fade away and then the sound is fine. When he plays a DVD or VHS or Playstation the sound is perfect. The TV is only 2 or 3 years old. The picture is fine. Any idea what could be causing this?

How is the Set Top Box connected to the TV. If it is coax, I would do as sugested. If it is with A/V cables, you could try switching cables. One of the audio cables could have gotten a bad connection in the cable. If you are using coax from the STB to the TV, you may want to switch to A/V cables for a better sound and picture.

0 Likes
Maxwell

Sorry for being non - technical but was does treseating mean? What exactly should I be trying? All connections are coax. Wall/VCR/STB/TV.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I think that should have been reseating. Disconnect and reconnect the cables to be sure they not loose.

Since all is coax, it could be something in your TV tunning circuitry. Can you try the STB on another TV and see if it still does this. I had a TV that started doing the same thing and ended up using the Audio Video cables and not the tuner on channel 3 or 4.

0 Likes
Maxwell

I will try that. Could you tell me a couple of things? Where do I buy and what brand of A/V cable do I need? Do I buy just one, two? Then I connect the A/V cable from the TV to the STB in place of the coax?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Maxwell wrote:

I will try that. Could you tell me a couple of things? Where do I buy and what brand of A/V cable do I need? Do I buy just one, two? Then I connect the A/V cable from the TV to the STB in place of the coax?

Red and white with RCA Plugs would be for the Audio and yellow cable for video. Just like on a video game console. Are all your devices connected with coax? If so, you may want to try and connect the COAX from the STB directly to your TV. It could be one of the other devices it passes through that causes the static.

0 Likes