Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu

STB and TV turn on automatically

slambert
Contributor
Contributor

STB and TV turn on automatically

Message 1 of 4
(6,668 Views)
Every few weeks or so, my STB and TV turn on automatically at about 3:00 - 4:00 AM.  It looks like the STB is resetting it self because the display goes blank and then shows "----" before going back to the clock/channel display.  I have to find the remote or get out of bed to turn it off and sometimes it does it again 5 minutes later.  Does anyone know why this happens and how to make it stop?
3 REPLIES 3
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Re: STB and TV turn on automatically

Message 2 of 4
(6,650 Views)
between 3-5 am is what verizon calls "safetime" that is when any updates are done to the stb. it will turn on the stb but should not turn on tv. you are probably just turning off the stb at the night and not the tv. you want to make sure the tv is off, not just the stb.
slambert
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(6,645 Views)
The TV definately turns on also.  I assume that is because I have it plugged into the box so that it turns off the tv when I turn off the box.  Even if I change this, just the clicking from the box when it turns on wakes me up.
CharlesH
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Message 4 of 4
(6,595 Views)

You can have the remote turn off both the STB and the TV by using a key code so you dont have to have the TV plugged into the STB.

Program remote to power TV & STB at the same time
1) Press and hold the STB key. 2) While holding down the STB key, press OK. 3) Release both keys. The device keys will blink twice. 4) Press 9-7-7. The STB key will blink twice. 5) One after the other, press each device key you want the Power key to control in the order you want to turn on or off. Selected device key will blink twice after each pressed. 6) Press OK when done. The STB key will blink 3 times to indicate success in programming.

There is no way to stop the updates and global resets, so this is the only other solution to your problem.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title