STB Crash: Starting Up... One Moment Please.
ILikeFIOS
Contributor - Level 1

I have two DVRs (7216 & 6416).  About twice a month, each one will randomly crash & reboot.  Crashes occur for no particular reason; sometimes when I try to watch a show, sometimes when I try to look at guide info, sometimes when I use the search functions, etc...

When the box reboots, the display goes to "--:--" and the screen on the TV says "Starting Up... One Moment Please."  After about 30 minutes, I try to do a reboot by disconnecting the power.  When the box reboots, the display returns to "--:--" and the screen once again says "Starting Up... One Moment Please."  All other STBs (including the other DVR) in the house work.  Internet and phone continues to work as well.  We've never had a non-DVR STB crash & reboot.  The crashes happened both with 1.8 and 1.9, but seem to have increased a bit with 1.9.

I've tried resetting the box with "in home agent" with no results.

I've tried resetting the box using the website with no results.

I've moved the bad box to another working outlet, and the box continues to display "--:--" and "Starting Up... One Moment Please."

I've called tech support more times than I can remember and after all their attempts to restart the box, they always conclude that it is a bad box.  They send out a new one and tell us to expect it two days later (we have probably replaced four boxes).

Lately, in the last 8 months or so, we noticed that usually during the night, anywhere from 6 to 12 hours later, the "broken" STB comes back to life and works like normal.  We end up cancelling the replacement box (or send it back) because we have shows on our DVRs we would like to keep and replacement boxes don't seem to make a difference anyways.

So, is there something else I can do to determine

1. if BOTH these boxes are bad
  2. if we have a signal issue that is house wide
  3. if there are any other procedures we can do to try to fix this?  Like resetting the ONT or the router?
  4. if we need a tech to come out and check our wiring and or signal?
  5. if a 7232 would fix this issue for good?
  6. if this is normal and we should just live with it or leave FIOS?

The problem with calling a tech is that by the time he shows up, they boxes both work and the signal is supposedly fine.

Any help would be appreciated.  If this happened once or twice a year, that would be one thing.  But when it happens almost every other week, its becoming ridiculous.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: STB Crash: Starting Up... One Moment Please.
ILikeFIOS
Contributor - Level 1

Well, after multiple chats with tech support, they decided it was a bad signal and that I needed to replace the splitter.  I had also noticed poor picture on several channels on all TVs.  We replaced the splitters and still no change.  Using the self-diagnostic on a working STB indicated that our OOB S/N was 0db (it should be between 23db & 27db).

They finally sent a tech out to the house today.  He immediately diagnosed it as a bad ONT.  He had to replace a box on the outside of the house that had several cables running in and out of it.

After that, the signal went back to normal, the picture stopped pixelating, and the DVR was able to reboot and connect to the network easily.  We havent seen a crash yet -- but will have to keep a look out for that.

The tech said that the original ONTs produced by TelLabs were prone to failure after a couple years.  Ours is about 3 years old (I think).  He says the newer ones are better quality.

View solution in original post

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Would like to contact you regarding your issues. Sending you a private message with a link to fillout. Please send us a PM once you have form submitted. Thanks.

0 Likes
ILikeFIOS
Contributor - Level 1

Well, after multiple chats with tech support, they decided it was a bad signal and that I needed to replace the splitter.  I had also noticed poor picture on several channels on all TVs.  We replaced the splitters and still no change.  Using the self-diagnostic on a working STB indicated that our OOB S/N was 0db (it should be between 23db & 27db).

They finally sent a tech out to the house today.  He immediately diagnosed it as a bad ONT.  He had to replace a box on the outside of the house that had several cables running in and out of it.

After that, the signal went back to normal, the picture stopped pixelating, and the DVR was able to reboot and connect to the network easily.  We havent seen a crash yet -- but will have to keep a look out for that.

The tech said that the original ONTs produced by TelLabs were prone to failure after a couple years.  Ours is about 3 years old (I think).  He says the newer ones are better quality.

cv4nash
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the exact problem described here. It's been a couple of days and the box hasn't magically reset itself. Please help, Verizon!

0 Likes