STB Defaults from channel to time... anyone else annoyed?
TKO1235
Enthusiast - Level 2

As of this morning, when I leave my STB on a station, anytime between 5-30 seconds, it defaults to showing the time on the front panel and not the channel I'm watching. It doesn't shut off, just defaults to the time. I don't know about others, but I PREFER the channel to be shown. Not only do I frequently look at the front of the box while I'm watching the TV as a reference point, but I also leave the STB on when I have my DVD recorder programmed. Seeing the channel was an easy way to know I had the STB on and it was on the correct channel I wanted to record. Now with the default, without the TV actually on, the only way you can tell if the STB is on is a by a small light on the front and you don't automatically see the channel anymore.

Is there anyway to back to not having the STB default to a time screen instead of the channel?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: STB Defaults from channel to time... anyone else annoyed?
TKO1235
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for the advice!  (The setting must have changed with the upgrade). I Have My Channels back again!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Go into menu and settings and (I believe) under set top box there is a front panel setting that you can change for channel or time - whichever you prefer.
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
Press Menu, Settings, set-top box, front display and select channel press ok and there you go.
0 Likes
TKO1235
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for the advice!  (The setting must have changed with the upgrade). I Have My Channels back again!

0 Likes
BorderDog
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Techman28 wrote:
Press Menu, Settings, set-top box, front display and select channel press ok and there you go.
I know you can switch between channel/time when the box is on, but is it possible to turn the display off completely when the box is off?  That thing is so bright it lights up my bedroom at night!
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@BorderDog wrote:
I know you can switch between channel/time when the box is on, but is it possible to turn the display off completely when the box is off?  That thing is so bright it lights up my bedroom at night!

Try black tape - unfortunately there is no display off setting Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@BorderDog wrote:

Ah, the older you get the more you will appreciate that extra bit of light as you get out of bed more and more frequently! Smiley Very Happy

The only way I know of is to turn the box off (or the tape, as previously suggested). One kinda crude thing you might do, depending on the layout of your room, is buy a remote on/off extension cord. My mother had one for her bedroom, about 25 feet long, plug it into the power, plug the box into it, run the cord to the bedside table, turn the power to the box off and on without getting out of bed (this is just a cheap way to do remote on/off, I am sure there must be wireless options for a bunch more money).

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.6.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
How about a clapper - you know "Clap On.  Clap Off.  The Clapper".  Oops, guess I'm showing my age Smiley Happy
0 Likes
JKennedy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I leave ours on a single digit channel to cut down on the light. 

I can't believe there isn't a display off or at least a dimmer.  I thought baout black tape, but that can't be removed or put on by remote laying in bed.  

0 Likes