STB Entering Standby Mode By Itself
jas

Every few hours when our two televisions are not in use the SD STBs enter standby mode their own and display a screensaver.  The screensaver has been repeatedly been recorded by our two TiVo DVRs instead of programs.  The STBs are using system 1.7

Can the STBs be set to NEVER enter standby mode?  Would requesting new STBs make any difference?

This problem was reported by other users in April but no solution was ever posted. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: STB Entering Standby Mode By Itself
pacwoman37
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, we too have had this intermittent problem for weeks now!  A new FIOS STB did not solve the problem. 

I think I found the solution but had to leave for Christmas Holidays before I could prove it!

I believe the problem lies with the connection between the two; TIVO and FIOS.

The issue:  your Standard Definition TIVO box is trying to record High Definition channels.

The signal is unable to complete so it drops and the FIOS box shuts off.

You most likely have not deselected the High Definition channels from your TIVO channel list AND have TIVO suggestions turned on.  TIVO suggestions typically run when nothing else is set to record (often late night hours).

Try the following and please let me know how you make out!  I've been searching the web for days and have seen this problem repeatedly but no viable solution.

Go to:

1. Tivo Central

Messages & Settings

Settings

Channels

Channel List

...Page down and deselect each HD channel

2.  Messages & Settings

Settings

Recording

Tivo Suggestions...change to No

I am not sure if only using option 1 above will work, but you could try it if you prefer to use TIVO Suggestions.

You might also want to deselect channels that are not on your cable line-up.

The reason I think this is the problem; on our first 'standby' program recorded overnight, the initial split second on the recording was a valid channel-the picture was visible.  As soon as the TIVO Suggested recording changed channels to the HD channel, the picture dropped, the Not-subscribed HD message appeared then the Standby message came up.

Good Luck, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and let me know how you make out!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
VZ_Erik
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try this, Menu : Settings : Set-Top Box : Screen Saver: "No Screen Saver in Standby", make sure that is checked. This will disable the screen saver that is interfering.

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

This 'fix' doesn't help

I am seeing the exact same thing.

What I think is happenning is that the STB 'sees' the HDMI connection going down.  I switch to another 'device' on the TV

The problem is that this standby also kills the component output.

Never happens if the TV stays on the STB.  But it thinks you stopped watching so it times out and goes to the 'press menu' to watch tv' message.

In my case, it keeps resetting  (blank front screen, 8888, then channel number), so the relay clicks as it goes on and goes off are very annoying.

0 Likes
VZ_Erik
Enthusiast - Level 3

when you switch inputs you get "(blank front screen, 8888, then channel number), "?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

NM, re-read the post and I posted the wrong info. just ignore this

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

Eric:

>when you switch inputs you get "(blank front screen, 8888, then channel number), "?

Yes.  Not right away, but after a bit, it starts doing this over and over, until I select the HDMI on my tv, then I get the 'Press menu to use box or turn off tv"

0 Likes
VZ_Erik
Enthusiast - Level 3

This doesn’t happen on any other TV or STB right? If you want I can try restoring some defaults on the box, it shouldn’t be doing that... Private Message me your account telephone number if you want and we can try a few things out before replacing the box.

0 Likes
pacwoman37
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, we too have had this intermittent problem for weeks now!  A new FIOS STB did not solve the problem. 

I think I found the solution but had to leave for Christmas Holidays before I could prove it!

I believe the problem lies with the connection between the two; TIVO and FIOS.

The issue:  your Standard Definition TIVO box is trying to record High Definition channels.

The signal is unable to complete so it drops and the FIOS box shuts off.

You most likely have not deselected the High Definition channels from your TIVO channel list AND have TIVO suggestions turned on.  TIVO suggestions typically run when nothing else is set to record (often late night hours).

Try the following and please let me know how you make out!  I've been searching the web for days and have seen this problem repeatedly but no viable solution.

Go to:

1. Tivo Central

Messages & Settings

Settings

Channels

Channel List

...Page down and deselect each HD channel

2.  Messages & Settings

Settings

Recording

Tivo Suggestions...change to No

I am not sure if only using option 1 above will work, but you could try it if you prefer to use TIVO Suggestions.

You might also want to deselect channels that are not on your cable line-up.

The reason I think this is the problem; on our first 'standby' program recorded overnight, the initial split second on the recording was a valid channel-the picture was visible.  As soon as the TIVO Suggested recording changed channels to the HD channel, the picture dropped, the Not-subscribed HD message appeared then the Standby message came up.

Good Luck, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and let me know how you make out!

0 Likes
pacwoman37
Enthusiast - Level 2

Giving this more thought...

A quick test that might prove this situation; using your Tivo remote, try to record an upcoming HD program.  See if the box turns off at the start time.

Tivo needs to add a message to Guided Setup, similar to the Do You Subscribe to any Premium Channels..Do you subscribe to HD channels?   Maybe it is not an issue for them because SD boxes are out of date!

Another concern; why did this start happening recently?  Was it the FIOS release that added the Standby message?

0 Likes
btitus

I have been seeing this for several weeks now: the QIP2500-3 STB going into standby by itself and the Tivo recording hours and hours of the screensaver.

Was just about to swap the box for one of the simpler digital adapter boxes in my house, but will try turning off Tivo suggestions and also cleaning up my channel list.

Will post if I see any improvement.

thanks,

BTitus

0 Likes